effec, and high temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
got a curious question. if i want to get maximum yield and not worried about time. would it be better to run the stock hot as it'll go at first, then back off the heat? or just run it hard till the head starts getting hot? then back down the heat?

Fast or slow don't matter, just run it until head temp reaches ~208f, then shut her down. Run slow for cleaner product in one go, or run fast to strip and plan on running it again to clean up the nasty yeast flavors.

Edit: you can run past 208f but you're adding a ton of nastiness for just a bit more yield. Not worth it IMO.

Fast or slow don't matter, just run it until head temp reaches ~208f, then shut her down. Run slow for cleaner product in one go, or run fast to strip and plan on running it again to clean up the nasty yeast flavors.

Edit: you can run past 208f but you're adding a ton of nastiness for just a bit more yield. Not worth it IMO.

i live at 4500ft...208f is hotter then boiling water.....my usual strategy is to just keep going starting at pulling 85%, and end around 50% running when the jug has a avg of 65% cask strength in it.. but being i use most of this stuff for science experiments and i'm not worried about taste.

was wonder ing if i added an hour onto the process, and ran it slow from the begining a quart extra?

(oh, damn man....i really should have used my new found trick to test the wash to see how much was left in it!!@# always a next time! thanks for the idea! :mug:)

An extra quart? That doesn't sound unreasonable. Running slow changes a lot of things. Total proof gallons might be a bit higher running slow, but if time really isn't an object, quality can be much much better. I spend a lot of time and electricity cleaning up rough spirit on a small 3L countertop setup. The final product is smooth and clean but it takes time. IME, my mini setup produces much nicer finished product than my 11G setup is capable of at any speed.

My tabletop setup is an Erlenmeyer flask, some copper coil from home Depot, a hot plate and a computer fan. As stupid as it sounds, it makes some really nice product.
20210221_104757.jpg

Last edited:
An extra quart? That doesn't sound unreasonable. Running slow changes a lot of things. Total proof gallons might be a bit higher running slow, but if time really isn't an object, quality can be much much better. I spend a lot of time and electricity cleaning up rough spirit on a small 3L countertop setup. The final product is smooth and clean but it takes time. IME, my mini setup produces much nicer finished product than my 11G setup is capable of at any speed.

My tabletop setup is an Erlenmeyer flask, some copper coil from home Depot, a hot plate and a computer fan. As stupid as it sounds, it makes some really nice product.

gotta sanitize your yeast starter flask somehow? ;) lol mightest well get something for the trouble?

gotta sanitize your yeast starter flask somehow? ;) lol mightest well get something for the trouble?
I got my start making ethanol for hand sanitizer when isopropyl was impossible to get. All our family, friends and neighbors had white lightning mixed with glycerin and aloe served up in awkward beer bottles LOL. You do what you have to, amiright?

I got my start making ethanol for hand sanitizer when isopropyl was impossible to get. All our family, friends and neighbors had white lightning mixed with glycerin and aloe served up in awkward beer bottles LOL. You do what you have to, amiright?

i got my start when i got cut off from malt.....you gotta do what you gotta do! :mug:

View attachment 738960
That is way too friggin cool!

well i thought i'd update....i should have let it run longer. i only got enough 65% for 1 keg of 5% lemon lime soda....was hoping for at least 8%. with leftovers.

i started with 12%, probably 5 gallons so only getting 1 keg of 5% sucked.....should have backed off the heat and ran at a miniscule drip.....

Latest posts

Back