Edelmentall to Natural Gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent_77590

Reaction score
So my wife bought me an edelmental when they first came out. I just bought a new house that has natual gas plummed to the back patio for a grill (or homebrewer). Has anyone coverted one to natural gas? NB says it cant use natural gas but Im sure thats becasue of the regulator and valves etc. Chime in if you know anything

Thanks,

Trent

Cool! Thanks for the info. Thought it was just a siimple valve change but wanted to see if anyone has done it

Does natural gas burn hotter than propane or is it just the same? I might convert my edelmentall also

I forget the exact amount but i think ive read that NG gives 10% LESS btus than propane
Its lower pressure so the orifice has to bigger obviously
For me it was a no brainer for mt setup. No more filling propane tanks or running outid boil.
My blichmann on NG gets 14 gallons of wort boiling hard with the quickness.

Haven't personally tried it (I have the Blichmann on NG), but as stated above, it uses the same cast burner as the Blichmann floor burner. I have absolutely no doubt that you could convert the Edelmetal to NG with the $15 Blichmann NG conversion kit. It'll put out about 60,000 BTUs on NG, as opposed to 72,000 on LPG.

The parts are NOT compatible.... Thanks for those who contributed to the million idiots on the internet who have no idea what they are talking about

The parts are NOT compatible.... Thanks for those who contributed to the million idiots on the internet who have no idea what they are talking about

So, please enlighten us as to exactly what is not compatible about it? I'd honestly like to know.

UPDATE: Apparently it's the thread size in the casting, which can be overcome somewhat easily, though if I was deciding between the Edelmetall and the Blichmann to purchase (I've been there) and knew that a future NG conversion was planned, I'd just go with the Blichmann out of simplicity (I did). That said, if you already have the Edelmetall and then decide later that you would like to convert it to NG, it can most certainly be done.

Don't believe me? Please read posts 52, 54, & 56 of this post and then explain to me again why NG won't work with the Edelmetall. It appears that a little rework of the thread size in the casting would be necessary, but I'm not sure it couldn't be overcome with either an adapter (P/N 120-BA-61) drilled out to Ø.125" for NG or a different valve assembly with the proper thread size and custom Ø.125" orifice (P/N CVO125). Without seeing it in person, I'm guessing the Edelmetall casting is threaded for 1/8" NPT, where as the Blichmann is 1/4" NPT.

The threads on the burner are a diferent size than the blichman conversion kit. I have to drill and re-tap the threads on the burner. I could have ordered any conversion kit for half the price and had to do the same thing

The threads on the casting are indeed different, I found that out the hard way. I bought the Blichmann NG to try and convert my Edelmetall burner and found that it does not work. Instead of re-drilling and tapping the burner casting, you can always (carefully) drill the orifice hole larger. How much larger? Im not really sure, but Im sure the info is out there.

just wanted to post to say i converted my edelmetall to natural gas without drilling out the orifice or retapping the banjo burner component. i purchased the blichmann natural gas orifice/needle valve and i used a brass converter as previously mentioned in this thread to step down the size of the connection. here is the amazon link of the converter i used

i haven't brewed yet but i did do a test boil and i got 5 gallons of 60 degree water to a rolling boil in 18 minutes. not sure if i've ever timed this on propane but i'd say its roughly on par and much more convenient than dealing with propane tanks.

i did notice that even with the damper fully open the tips of my flames would occasionally be yellow. as a temporary fix i wedged a screwdriver in between the damper and the burner and the extra oxygen helped the flames stay consistently blue. i plan to dremel the damper vents slightly larger to allow for greater air to fuel mixture.

really happy that this worked out for me and i hope this post can benefit anyone in the future considering this conversion.

edelmetall-gas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back