eBIAB Raspberry Pi System Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlager

Reaction score
Does anyone have some advice on a system to build for a 220v ebiab? I have been searching the forum but it seems this topic is scattered across DIY and the automated sections. All I am looking for is a boil controller with temperature monitoring and plan to use gravity transfer on my keggle. No pumps needed. I would like to use one of my Android devices as a UI though.
I am a former electrician and now a integration engineer for a telecom equipment provider, I should be able to handle a build such as this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning to port the HABS arduino sketch used in my brewery to run in Node-RED for this exact purpose. When complete, you would just need a raspberry pi, an SSR, and a temp probe. I feel like this solution will cover a lot of brewers looking for simple monitoring and control. Everything is functional right now, but it's split across a microcontroller and server.

Another solution is to just use a Spark Core with the arduino sketch and it's REST api to get the data to your mobile.

How far along are you right now?

A neighbor and I were just thinking of working on the keggle to get it ready until we can get a good understanding of what to purchase before jumping in. That in itself is not a big deal since I already have a 40 amp circuit in the garage
I can purchase the equipment you mentioned but I want to make sure they are used. With your brewery, can you manage and monitor via a Andriod device?

Does anyone have some advice on a system to build for a 220v ebiab? I have been searching the forum but it seems this topic is scattered across DIY and the automated sections. All I am looking for is a boil controller with temperature monitoring and plan to use gravity transfer on my keggle. No pumps needed. I would like to use one of my Android devices as a UI though.
I am a former electrician and now a integration engineer for a telecom equipment provider, I should be able to handle a build such as this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

It might be worth checking out the thread here on the Strangebrew Elsinore:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new-strangebrew-elsinore-thread-475456/

Doug Edey has developed the software to run on a Raspberry Pi for controlling mash temps, etc. It is still a project in progress, but it seems an interesting approach. He is taking advantage of 1-wire temperature sensors (DS18B20s), so you don't need to add extra analog front ends to measure temperatures. He also has SSRs to control heating elements, and these are configured to be controlled by GPIO pins on the RPi.

Back