Ebiab kettle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon1975

Reaction score
I’m in the process of putting together my kettle. I purchase a 16 gallon bayou classic with the element already installed. The element sits about three inches from the bottom. I’m looking for a basket and I found one but it’s going to be .25” above the element. Is that too close to the element?

Also I want to install a recirculation port on the lid. Just like high gravity has. What did you guys use to spray the grain with. Please post pictures.

Your advice will be greatly appreciate, cheers!

IMG_1516248192.400946.jpg

I have this basket. Can I bolt stainless steel bolts on the bottom to keep it above the heating element?

Yes, stainless bolts/nuts/washers will make good feet. Just make them longer if you want it farther from the element. I would add some 400-800 micron mesh to the basket and ditch the bag. Since you already have the basket. The ones I have used don't flow good enough to recirculate.

If you believe in HSA (hot side aeration) don't spray the beer unless it is below the level of the wort. Use a manifold of some kind on top of the grain bed or just a hose on top of the grain bed (that's what we use). But when you lift the lid, it will spray all over the place if you aren't careful. We don't go through lid.

Are you going to use a RIMS/HERMS system?

Thanks for the info! So you suggest doing recirculation thru the side of the kettle. Can you post a picture of your set up?

Herms system

Yes, stainless bolts/nuts/washers will make good feet. Just make them longer if you want it farther from the element. I would add some 400-800 micron mesh to the basket and ditch the bag. Since you already have the basket. The ones I have used don't flow good enough to recirculate.

If you believe in HSA (hot side aeration) don't spray the beer unless it is below the level of the wort. Use a manifold of some kind on top of the grain bed or just a hose on top of the grain bed (that's what we use). But when you lift the lid, it will spray all over the place if you aren't careful. We don't go through lid.

Are you going to use a RIMS/HERMS system?

You can recirculate with the use of this sitting on top of your grain bed. This is what I use and I am very happy with it for my system. I have a 20 gallon kettle with a 400 micron stainless steel grain basket.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post. Too many homebrews tonight.

Back