EasyDens Discount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered an EasyDens and got a referral link for a 20EUR ($17ish) discount for you and same as a refund to me. Not sure if it’s single use but if someone is ordering one here’s a rare chance at a discount.

https://bit.ly/3lWiXDN

Discount worked for me, but I didn't go through with it. An interesting device, to be honest. It might be very useful for monitoring fermentation in my lab experiments due to the small volumes required. But, for 330 Euros, including a discount, it's not cheap. I'd expect some credible lab data to justify the price tag for home brewers, but I couldn't find any on their website. I'd like to know how much closer it gets to real values compared with a hydrometer that cost about 325 Euros less. And does it perform as badly as digital refractometers once fermentation starts? How much variation does measuring unfiltered wort promote? Has anyone actually pitted one of these EasyDens against a GC-MS?

It keeps working. In the fine print I saw it actually takes 4 referrals but not too worried about it.

It is a true hydrometer, not a refractometer. I would assume that if there is particulate matter in the wort it would affect density (as it would for a floating hydrometer.) Anton Paar is a well know maker of laboratory instruments. USA :: Anton-Paar.com

I'm really enjoying mine. The sample size is miniscule which means that pulling samples on brew day allows cooling them to an acceptable temperature for measuring super easy and no worrying about wasting beer when pulling from the fermenter. Before I'd always use 2-3 instruments (refractometer, hydrometer, maybe trust a Tilt for FG.) which introduces a lot of error relatively speaking.

First - thanks Matt for the original discount, these are typically fixed price everywhere. My feedback on the EasyDens, 100% worth it. We use one at work where I brew and it's consistent, accurate and has stood up to 2 years of daily use (first edition version). I assume the updated version will work just as well. To echo what Matt said, the sample size needed is a huge plus as a homebrewer and will encourage you to take more frequent readings giving you a better idea of what's happening in your FV. The tracking ability in app works great, yeah it's expensive but I absolutely hate the inaccuracy of refractometers and I've broken enough hydrometers over the years to justify buying this (note I can find an excuse to buy just about anything homebrewing related!)

I think I’ve been looking for something like this for a while, mainly to better monitor fermentations in the lab for various experiments. After thinking it over I decided it was a good offer with free shipping. If it doesn’t meet my needs - I’m sure it will - they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and seem to be a reputable company. Cheers!

http://easydens.refr.cc/johnmcmullan

If you live in Norway or the UK, this 20 bucks off and 'free' shipping doesn't translate into a reasonable deal at all. Sellers registered in the EU, including Anton Paar, are supposed to deduct local VAT (20% usually) when they export products out of the EU. E.g., to private buyers in the UK and Norway, who then pay VAT to their own tax authority. (Fact-check EU rules on VAT exemption, if you want to argue with yourself.) The handling fees charged by international shipping firms, like DHL, are an opportunistic scam, too. They fleeced me out of more than 25 quids worth of NOK for the 'pleasure' of billing me the Norway VAT I owed 😯 A simple automated system billing importers local VAT doesn't justify conning customers who've already paid for (or have been offered 'free') shipping services. You shouldn't have to pay VAT twice and hidden shipping fees not included transparently at time of purchase are questionable. An EasyDens digital hydrometer, without any sales deal, weighs in at about £248/€289 (excluding VAT) in today's money, so, if you're in the UK or Norway, you're getting robbed at the outset.

Edit: Hats off to Anton Paar for cushioning the blow of my additional costs. They generously offered me an EasyDens Care: 2 Year Plan as compensation. Great customer service. Glad I didn't have to return the EasyDens for a refund, to be honest. I'm yet to challenge it with a range of prepared sugar solutions, but my initial thoughts are very good. It really does look and feel like a genuine high-end instrument. Definitely a professional grade instrument. Hence the relatively high price.

Last edited:
It keeps working. In the fine print I saw it actually takes 4 referrals but not too worried about it.

It is a true hydrometer, not a refractometer. I would assume that if there is particulate matter in the wort it would affect density (as it would for a floating hydrometer.) Anton Paar is a well know maker of laboratory instruments. USA :: Anton-Paar.com

I'm really enjoying mine. The sample size is miniscule which means that pulling samples on brew day allows cooling them to an acceptable temperature for measuring super easy and no worrying about wasting beer when pulling from the fermenter. Before I'd always use 2-3 instruments (refractometer, hydrometer, maybe trust a Tilt for FG.) which introduces a lot of error relatively speaking.
I've been using my EasyDens for almost a year now and really enjoy it. I do degas and filter samples to ensure accuracy. I use small K-Cup system filters which are the perfect size for a 5 ml sample. Much easier to use than either digital or hand-held refractometers (I have both; anybody want to make an offer?), and quicker more accurate than hydrometers (I have many, in various ranges).

It's the best of all worlds: quick, very accurate, temperature compensated results requiring only small volume samples. The price of entry is a bit steep, however.

Tell me more about this! I've been using a tiny flask and shaking, its far from perfect.
It's a reusable two-piece plastic form molded to the exact shape and size of a disposible K-Cup brewing system. A disposable (compostable) coffee filter is placed inside to hold your own ground coffee.

I just put a fresh filter in the bottom piece of the housing, put it in a shot glass, and filter a few ml of beer sample. Takes about 30 seconds to filter it.

I'm vacationing at the beach right now, but I'll send you some pics when we get back if you'd like.

Back