Easiest All-Grain Recipe for a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, another question from this eager newbie:

What would be the easiest all-grain receipe for a novice brewer to start with? I pretty much enjoy every type of beer, so it doesn't matter to me what I brew. I want to 'graduate' to an all-grain brew, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so 'easy' recipe recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Since you're in Toronto, the absolutely simplest I can see is to drop by https://torontobrewing.ca/ and look over and talk to them about what they have available that matches the equipment you have... they can throw together a kit measured out to your specific steup and even sell you a BIAB bag if you don't have one.

Since you're in Toronto, the absolutely simplest I can see is to drop by https://torontobrewing.ca/ and look over and talk to them about what they have available that matches the equipment you have... they can throw together a kit measured out to your specific steup and even sell you a BIAB bag if you don't have one.
Thanks - that's probably the best idea. I bought my starter equipment there and they were very helpful.

My first all grain was Yooper's Oatmeal Stout from this forum. It was basically like steeping only for longer and at a held temp (I did it BIAB so if you are doing traditional all grain your mileage may vary. I did not worry about water additions at all; as I recall I just used tap water (pre-softener, from an outside spigot) and didn't even worry about campden tablets for chlorine.

It came out great and made me pretty confident to go on. My feeling at the time was that a strong flavored darker beer without a lot of late or dry hop additions would be a simple way to get started and would be pretty forgiving of any errors on my part. Not sure if that was true, but the beer came out great.

Of course, I did it from a recipe (link above), but going with a simple kit would work great as well.

Thanks - that's probably the best idea. I bought my starter equipment there and they were very helpful.
Oh..I should have mentioned 2 things: 1/ If you don't intend to buy a mash tun, make sure and know the measurements of your brewpot to size up a BIAB bag and 2/ That place IS the Rabbit-Hole I mentioned in another post.

BIAB is a good way to start all grain brewing, just a few additional items needed. Many brewers make excellent beer that way.

For recipes, I also agree with above posters, that a SMaSH with one grain and one hop is a good first brew. Lots of styles can be brewed that way: blonde ale, pale ale, English bitter, Kolsch, etc.

I did a SMaSH Kolsch a couple years ago with German pilsner malt and K-97 dry yeast. Turned out great.

1679168676882.png

:mug:

The ways to go easy involve doing a moderate-gravity beer using a single-infusion mash without a ton of timed hop additions, and then use dry yeast. I'm assuming you don't have fermentation temperature control, so pick a dry yeast that can handle a wide temperature range.

The question you should ask is "what type of beer can I brew and be mostly likely to get great results?" The answer is probably not a SMaSH; they are simple and clean and won't hide a lot of flaws. It doesn't really add complication to have more grains in your grist, especially if your home-brew store will sell you a pre-measured mixture. (Also, there are a few good online retailers that will.)

Instead look for something like
  • an Irish-ish dry stout using Nottingham or London yeast: not overly complicated grist, single hop addition, forgiving yeast, and it'll be nice and roasty no matter what.
  • an American brown ale, again using Nottingham. Again a darker beer and strong flavors.
  • a Belgian brown ale (not a Dubbel) using Abbaye. Strong flavors, and you'll be ok if you don't get the high attenuation that you need for Trappist beers.
Basically, ask yourself what temperature you're likely to hit when fermenting, pick a yeast that'll work there, and work from there to a darker style you think you'll like. So if you're fermenting cool in your basement or garage, a California Common with W34/70 would be reasonable, whereas if your beer is going to be sharing your ~70 F living space, a Dark Mild with London would be better.

I started out reading Josh Weikert's "Make your best ____" series. You'll get a decent recipe, and he explains why he's adding each of the ingredients in it. He tends toward complicated grists and always uses liquid yeast, but post a recipe in the Recipes and Ingredients forum and someone will point you towards a dry yeast that works, and maybe some good simplifications.

Ok, another question from this eager newbie:

What would be the easiest all-grain receipe for a novice brewer to start with? I pretty much enjoy every type of beer, so it doesn't matter to me what I brew. I want to 'graduate' to an all-grain brew, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so 'easy' recipe recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

I have done this Stella clone a dozen times and it never disappoints. One grain and one hop. Put one table spoon of Irish Moss in the boil 15 minutes from flameout.

https://brewgr.com/recipe/7334/clone-of-stella-artois-german-pils-recipe

When learning how to brew "all-grain", there are a couple of items regarding the mash that need some attention:
  • is the source water of a quality the promotes a proper mash?
  • what additional water adjustments are needed based on the grain bill?
  • what is the "strike water" temperature that results in a proper mash temperature?
The answers to these questions are not easier (or harder) based on the number of hops or the number of malts.

English style bitter aim for 4.2 % abv

95 % Pale malt
5% Light crystal malt
mash for 90' at 66 C
30g Fuggles at 90'
5g Irish moss at 15'
30g East Kent goldings at 10'

hops for 20L but can reduce for smaller volume

Latest posts

Back