Dubbel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowain

Reaction score
For my next brew I am going to be making a trippel-style beer. OG is to be 1.083 and the grain bill will be about 20.75 lbs. My mash/lauter tun is a gatoraide type drink dispenser (you know, like you used to get water out of at little league games). The grains will pretty much fill the damn thing up. I've done a beer similar to this before, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hit gravity on the trippel. The key from before was to have a crap ton of sparge water.

However, I've realized that the monks (brilliantly) figured out a long time ago that you could use the massive amount of grains in these recipes for multiple brews, so I'd like to collect my trippel and then collect a dubbel anbd boil both. Equipment for boiling and fermenting isn't a problem, but I'm worried because of the small size of my mash tun and the fact that the dubbel would be all sparge.

The question is: Will a dubbel work this way or should I try to get a larger mash/lauter tun so that it can hold something like 12 gallons during the mash? Suggestions? HELP! :D

Are you talking about the 5 gallon cooler? I can't get more than 12-14 lbs maximum of grains in mine and still maintain any sort of reasonable ratio, and that's really pushing it. Around 10 lbs is much more reasonable for me. I we're gonna need a bigger boat, Captain!

I'm not sure on the total size of the cooler. I'm guessing it is not the 5 gallon though because I've done a similar recipe before and I know I can fit about 20 # of grains in there and still have a little room for water. Last time I did it, I think I sparged fairly slowly.

friggin awesome. Thanks a bunch Sam. I only had time for a quick skimming of the article (law school is killing me this term) but I'll give it a more thorough read this weekend. Thanks again!

cowain said:
friggin awesome. Thanks a bunch Sam. I only had time for a quick skimming of the article (law school is killing me this term) but I'll give it a more thorough read this weekend. Thanks again!

No problem....I'd just read a little about parti-gyle brewing when I read your post. I meant to get back to you sooner, but I lost track of time.

Matter of fact, we wanted to do that very thing with the trippel we brewed tonight, but we ran out of time. It sucked to dump all those grains. :(

Anyway, best of luck with the brew, and with school!

Back