Dry Hops for Hoppy Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcej23

Reaction score
Ok so I know that you're not supposed to dry hop a German Hefeweizen because you want the aroma/flavor of the yeast to dominate..... but I'm breaking the rules. What dry hops do you guys think would go well in a wheat beer with a German hefeweizen yeast strain (wyeast 3068)? I was thinking Amarillo and El Dorado for some nice fruity flavors.

Malts: wheat, pilsner, Munich, crystal
Bittring hops: Hallertauer

Wai-Iti, Motueka, Citra. But I think El Dorado could also be nice. Amarillo might be a tad too much grapefruit/citrus.

Hopfenweizen is a hoppy hefeweizen. You can take it a couple directions. You can hit it with noble-type hops and go a grassy/floral direction or you can use newer fruity hops. I think the Brooklyn/Schneider hopfenweisse brewed by Brooklyn is still brewed (maybe) and I believe it used Amarillo. Schneider still produces its version as Tap 5/hopfenweisse which is dry hopped with a Hallertauer variety. I believe they also put out a Nelson Sauvin dry hopped weizenbock.

I think the noble hops are a better fit but I've had some really nice ones with fruity hops.

Back