Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar281

Reaction score
Last time I dry hopped was about 5 years ago with a Black IPA - when I brewed that, I used a bag with two large stainless nuts in it to keep it down, and as I recall, at that time, I didn't have the ability to cold crash, so I probably kegged once it was done and went from there. I currently have a Grapefruit IPA fermenting that will need to be dry hopped with 2oz of pelletized hops. The question is do I use a bag like I did last time or do I just dump it in? I'm (still) using a fast ferment, which has a 700ml/23.7oz collection ball - If I use a bag, obviously, nearly everything would be contained in the bag. But if I were to just dump it in, would the ball have enough volume to contain all 2oz of hops once it all settles out during the cold crash? In pellet form, the ball would absolutely have enough volume, but the pellets are compressed and expand once wet. I've just never been able to really tell how much. The other aspect is if I were to use a bag and weight it, like I did last time, the bag would 'probably' interfere with the cold crashing, preventing some 'sediment' from getting down into the ball where it belongs.

I've typically been letting beers ferment, let them sit a bit past completion, then after at least a few days sitting, cold crash. The dry hop would change that a little, I think, but I doubt significantly. This beer was pitched on Sunday (5/24) and is currently at 1.020 (OG 1.056) & about 4.8% ABV, so it's a bit over halfway there. It'll probably be done by early to mid next week, at which point it'll be dry hop time.

Then, should I dry hop and then cold crash with the hops present, or assuming I were to add the hops without the bag so they settle down into the ball, should I let it be for a week or so, then remove/empty/sanitize/replace the ball and proceed to cold crash?

My experience dry hopping with a bag in my FastFerment was a disaster. I did the same and weighed down the bag. Fearing oxidation and sanitation issues, I neglected to remove before bottling. Huge mistake. Packaging was a nightmare and put myself through the wringer for nothing, should have just fished it out.

I would recommend either figuring a way to retrieve easily or trying your hand at settling with the cold crash. I ended up getting a nice stainless hop spider and it has held 5-6 Oz pellets no problem and no issues at packaging (I do kegs now thank goodness). I would expect 2 Oz of hops to make it to the ball but might be a bit tight if you still have yeast/trub in there.

Just my thoughts, sorry for no straightforward answer.

Personally I use a bag if I dont cold crash. My 1st fermenter was the fastferment and I used a bag because I didnt have the ability to cold crash. I never had an issue with packaging using a bag . It wants to float so it's always above the spigot. If you dump your trub and yeast before you dry hop then replace the ball and cold crash the hops will drop and should enter the collection ball.

So if you have the ability to combat suckback during cold crash dry hop commando, if not I'd bag.

Personally I use a bag if I dont cold crash. My 1st fermenter was the fastferment and I used a bag because I didnt have the ability to cold crash. I never had an issue with packaging using a bag . It wants to float so it's always above the spigot. If you dump your trub and yeast before you dry hop then replace the ball and cold crash the hops will drop and should enter the collection ball.

So if you have the ability to combat suckback during cold crash dry hop commando, if not I'd bag.

By 'suckback', I assume you mean in the airlock? If so, I've been using 'S' airlocks for this very reason, because they allow bi-directional flow, unlike the airlocks with the 'hat' that floats on the liquid medium to form the airlock, that would create a vacuum when the temp drops 30*.

By 'suckback', I assume you mean in the airlock? If so, I've been using 'S' airlocks for this very reason, because they allow bi-directional flow, unlike the airlocks with the 'hat' that floats on the liquid medium to form the airlock, that would create a vacuum when the temp drops 30*.

Yes , be wary of the s type as well . It may not suck the Star San into the fermenter but air will .

I put the pellets in a bag, tie a knot in it and drop it into the secondary to dry hop. Seems to work fine. I would think you could pull loose hops off with the ball on a conical. Might lose a little volume if it takes more than one try to get em all.

I have the last few brews just thrown the bag of dry hops into the keg on the day I transfer it from the fermentation vessel. I pull the bag out when the keg kicks.

I have the last few brews just thrown the bag of dry hops into the keg on the day I transfer it from the fermentation vessel. I pull the bag out when the keg kicks.

Hmmm... That's an idea. Once I keg it, it'll sit for probably a week carbing before it actually gets tapped. This would only be the second dry hop I've done, but I'm guessing that a certain amount of hops (2oz in this case) can only impart so much on the beer, so it doesn't really matter if it's in there a week or a month?

Dude , you've got a problem haha😉

Well, if you consider a full 5 gallons is about 40 beers (assuming a REAL pint of 16oz), then that works out to 2.8 beers per day (3.8 if you, go for a 12oz pour)... not all that far out of line from US 'guidelines' (And assuming zero waste)... But then I don't think anyone knows what's REALLY ok, considering the 'recommendations' go from one a day to 6 a day, depending on country... and then my wifes aunt died of alcohol WITHDRAWAL at almost 90 after breaking her hip because she drank literally a GLASS of vodka morning noon and night (if she had a glass of something that looked like water.... it wasn't water...) - she probably went though nearly a 5th a day - for decades and no one thought to tell the hospital how much she drank...... (We're of polish heritage, along the Russian border or so....) 🤷 SO JAG75's a lightweight. Plus he could have help (not going to lie... when I make a beer my wife likes, she'll help kill the keg). :)

Last edited:
That just gave me a good laugh. No judgment here at all...I know I've finished one in a couple of weeks (with some help...not a ton of help admittedly). I have noticed that I am going through them faster with the pandemic and all this 'work from home' crap. Translates into 'drink while home.'

Back