Dry hop with leaf hops in a conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on day 6 fermenting in a conical for the first time. As an afterthought, I thought I'd dry hop with 1/2 an ounce of leaf hops left over from the boil.

Is this an RBI (Really Bad Idea)? Am I likely to have these hops make racking difficult? Or will they settle in the cone so I can dump them?

The dump valve is 2", and I can cold crash to 32F if that makes a difference. I've been leaf hops and bucket fermenters for so long that I didn't think about buying pelletized hops at the LHBS.

Might be time to switch to pellets?

No issue whatsoever. But half an ounce for dry hopping... you can just as easy skip it and not have to think about potential hazards. Half an ounce will add nothing in terms of aroma, so you will not notice it was there. Unless you have a 0.5 gal conical, but I'm assuming it's 5.

Nonsense. Half an ounce might not make a difference in an NEIPA but in many styles that could make a distinctive difference, even to the point of making a good beer great. An easygoing lager with a light whiff of something noble every time you raise the glass comes to mind.

OK. I wont argue with that. So 14 grams of hops dumped into 20 liters of beer will be noticeable and make your beer better.

Back