Dry hop suggestions Columbus/Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperCrossBun

Reaction score
Whaddup, only started brewing this year and made the following recipe

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.60 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (5.0 EBC) 1 83.6 %
0.60 kg Munich Malt (24.0 EBC) 10.9 %
0.15 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) 2.7 %
0.15 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) 3 2.7 %

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.4 IBUs
14.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 13.1 IBUs
14.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
14.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.3 IBUs
20.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 9 2.3 IBUs

Sorry if the formatting is bad. 14g = 0.5oz btw.

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 39.9 IBUs
Est Color: 16.3 EBC

Made it on Saturday with washed US-05 yeast, but by Sunday it didn't show any signs of fermentation. Airlock wasn't moving, and opened it up and still smelled like wort. The plastic fermenter is leaking though somehow. But anyway, added some dry S-04 yeast and this morning there is some nice krausen. So leaking or not, at least it's fermenting.

So to the point, I haven't used Columbus or Amarillo before this batch, and want to dry hop it with a combination of the 2, or only 1, or whatever you guys suggest. Was planning on using 0.5oz of each for about 1 week max, but as I don't know these hops, I'd like your input!

Thanks!

Question, did you make a starter out of the washed yeast? Thous to hops will work will together I'd use 1 oz of each for 5 day

Amarillo is fantastic on its own. Amarillo will give you a nice citrus aroma. Columbus tends to give a somewhat "dank" aroma. It it were me I would go with all Amarillo and leave the columbus in the boil. 1.0 oz dry hop for an American IPA is on the low end. If you have the hops I would use 3.0 oz in the dry hop.

Question, did you make a starter out of the washed yeast? Thous to hops will work will together I'd use 1 oz of each for 5 day

Made a yeast starter the day before I brewed, apparently not a very good one. I have used washed yeast in the past with no problems, so that's not much of an issue for me.
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys

Made a yeast starter the day before I brewed, apparently not a very good one. I have used washed yeast in the past with no problems, so that's not much of an issue for me.

i always make it a habit to make my starter about 5 day before i brew just so it has a chance to get really going. 24 hr may not have been enough time for that wash this time

Back