Dry Hop secondary or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
I have made my first beer that was dry hopped and it came out incredible, I bottled it and took it on vacation with me, I normally keg. My question is I have read alot and most say if you keg you should dry hop in the keg, why is this better than in the secondary? I really don't want to cut the dip tubes in my kegs. Thanks

I bag the hops and remove the bag after a week or two. If it needs more of a kick, I'll dry hop again. I don't leave the hops in any more, weird flavors happen.

You can dry hop in the keg without worrying about sucking up hops if you use something to put the hops in. I believe EdWort uses a steel tea ball thing.

Dry hopping in the keg will give a bit more fresh aroma.

My homebrew guy just got in a new item it is an oval stainless screen with a chain on the end for dry hopping, oaking, etc. I just figured I couldn't hook it to anything inside the keg but I guess I could just add the hops and drop it in. If it's really worth it.

It is definatly worth it, i love dry hopping my IPA's in the keg, up untill about the two week mark, it is like a different beer everyday, the aroma and flavors really meld together.

Cheers

You can get the same stainless steel hop ball online from kitchen supply stores for less money than what a Homebrew Store will charge. Just look for a "Herb Ball" rather that a Hop ball.

Also you can make you own by getting 2 stainless steel sink wire mesh
sink strainers $1.98 each and wire them together. The sink strainers hold more that the hop balls.

Thanks alot I'll give it a try. Boy how ones tastes change, 3 years ago I hated hoppy beers now I can't get enough. I love this hobby!!!!

I'm dry hopping my Pliny the Elder clone in the keg right now. I picked up a SS herb ball at the local kitchen shop! It's a little small, but it works well. I used some dental floss to tie it off... We'll see how things turn out!!!

:mug:

Back