Dry hop in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
I tried something new with a batch of Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale. I wanted to try and cut down on the chance of contamination, I have not had a problem just wanted to try something new. So after fermentation I transfered the beer to a keg and put 2oz of hop pellets into the keg. I then let it sit two weeks and yesterday I went to transfer from that keg to another. I hooked up a jumper going from the out on the full keg to the out on the new keg. I also hooked the co2 to the full keg and opened the top of the new keg so it could vent. Well I get everything hooked up and nothing happened. I eventually had to get my racking cane and rack from one to the other. Then on top of all that I had to clean the liquid out post on the new keg last night because it was gunked up with hops. Is there a way to do this so that it works? I really liked having it in the keg to dry hop because the keg took up was less room than a carboy in my ferm cabinet.

I'm dry hopping for the first time right now. I have a hop bag weighed down with a stainless steel ball bearing (Sankey keg part). I tied it up with 2 oz of cascade leaf in it, dropped it in the freshly racked IPA keg, after attaching floss to it (non-mint...) and put the lid on with the floss hanging out. The floss is thin enough that the keg still seals well. I plan to only leave it in for 7-10 days, room temp.

HA HA! I added hops directly to my keg once, and I had to clean the dip tube about every other poor. The best thing to do is reduce the pressure when serving, and shake the keg right B 4 u pour. However, in the future, use a hop bag.

I used hop pellets in some swill I had around (I moved from Texas to boulder, I'm not used to the water) so I added 2 oz cascade pellets to a boiled hop sock. I cut the hop sock ends a little bit (after tying it into a knot) and held those little strings and closed the lid of the corny. There were about 5 or 6 strings on the outside. I pressurized the keg and checked for leaks. No leaks, so I'm cool. I let it sit for 3 weeks, and eh, it was OK. No infection though. I opened the lid, and pulled the hop bag out by the strings. I served a few beers off of this keg with the hop bag in place. The good ting is that there were no floties in my beer.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I tried something new with a batch of Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale. I wanted to try and cut down on the chance of contamination, I have not had a problem just wanted to try something new. So after fermentation I transfered the beer to a keg and put 2oz of hop pellets into the keg. I then let it sit two weeks and yesterday I went to transfer from that keg to another. I hooked up a jumper going from the out on the full keg to the out on the new keg. I also hooked the co2 to the full keg and opened the top of the new keg so it could vent. Well I get everything hooked up and nothing happened. I eventually had to get my racking cane and rack from one to the other. Then on top of all that I had to clean the liquid out post on the new keg last night because it was gunked up with hops. Is there a way to do this so that it works? I really liked having it in the keg to dry hop because the keg took up was less room than a carboy in my ferm cabinet.

Get a Surescreen from Northern Brewer. It is a stainless steel tube screen that fits over the pick up tube. I have several and they work great. Cheap too.

I used JB-weld to epoxy a hook to the underside of one of my corny lids. Hops go into a sanitized strainer bag, weighted down with glass marbles. The string on the bag goes over the hook under the lid, and Bob's your uncle. I pull the hops out after a couple of weeks.

The same arrangement works great for oak as well.

Back