dry hop duration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagythings

Reaction score
I brewed a black ipa and about 12 days ago transferred it to a secondary on 2oz of citra. My problem is that I originally planned to bottle today and ran out of time due to preparing for holiday travel and will not be able to bottle until next week. I have read that dry hopping too long can leave undesirable flavors and would like to avoid running into that problem. What option would be the best for me to do at this point?

A) leave it sitting on the hops until next week which will have the beer dry hopped for 17 or 18 days total.

B) Transfer to a different carboy today to get the beer off the hops until I can bottle.

I did a search but it turned up a lot of random options to read through so I figured it was easier to tap into your knowledge.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Chad

I am of no real help but I do know I would not leave it on for 17-18 days. I would pull it now before I left for holiday.

I agree with Nightshade! I would transfer into another carboy today. When you leave hops in too long you will get a grassy taste to your IPA it wont taste the same as if you racked and bottled now.

I would just leave it be. I've left dry hops in carboys for over a month and have never tasted anything grassy. I think it's an urban legend.

Ive tasted commercial IPA's that had a freshly cut lawn grassy characteristic. Im sure not all hops would produce this characteristic but why chance it.

Im sure Porky_pine has read this but heres some info on Dry hopping.

http://byo.com/stories/item/569-dry-hopping-techniques

if you have a way to crash the temperature, you could keep it in there no problem. Many people keep hops in their kegs for the duration of the keg with no trouble. I would be concerned with the extra oxidation possibilities with transferring it to another carboy. You have already transferred to secondary, now another batch, and then bottling too. I would leave it and bring the temperature down or just keep it. I also think you might want to dry hop even more when you return. Black IPAs need a bit more hops in them to compete with all the roasty flavors. 2 ounces might not be enough.

if you have a way to crash the temperature, you could keep it in there no problem. Many people keep hops in their kegs for the duration of the keg with no trouble. I would be concerned with the extra oxidation possibilities with transferring it to another carboy. You have already transferred to secondary, now another batch, and then bottling too. I would leave it and bring the temperature down or just keep it. I also think you might want to dry hop even more when you return. Black IPAs need a bit more hops in them to compete with all the roasty flavors. 2 ounces might not be enough.

I didnt think about this until you posted it! Your right and dropping the temp would help until he bottles and oxidation would come into play with all the transfers.

I had a brown ale that was well not a brown ale so I dry hopped in the keg. I noticed after a month and drank samples through out that I got a grainy character that was from the hops. It was drinkable but I dont think I will do this again without transferring out after its reaches the best flavor.

Leave it. I usually leave dry hops 12 to 14 days with no problems.

On one occasion I left Citra hops in a beer for 3 to 4 months (other things came up). Ended up being a great tasting beer.

+1
I leave my hops in my keg and no problem with grassy flavors. I love most IPAs but can't stand it when they taste like lawn clippings. Living PA, I'm sure you could just put it in the garage, if you don't have a ferm fridge/freezer.

Damn! Read the first few posts and transferred. I wish I would've thought to put the carboy in the garage since it's cold weather. Fingers crossed it will be fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

Damn! Read the first few posts and transferred. I wish I would've thought to put the carboy in the garage since it's cold weather. Fingers crossed it will be fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

It will be fine regardless of what you do. It will still be beer!

Back