Dropping Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramthebuffs

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know most of the basics of mash temps, but I've decided to try a Ky Common and after a little research around here it looked like a few brewing it were doing 100% sour mash. So what I'm wondering is if you mash at 152 and leave it for a day and a half before sparge, will it retain the properties of a beer mashed at 152? What properties should I expect from a beer brewed in this way?

I'm pretty sure I know most of the basics of mash temps, but I've decided to try a Ky Common and after a little research around here it looked like a few brewing it were doing 100% sour mash. So what I'm wondering is if you mash at 152 and leave it for a day and a half before sparge, will it retain the properties of a beer mashed at 152? What properties should I expect from a beer brewed in this way?

You can fully expect a sour mash... yum! You are simply giving the lacto bacteria that naturally exist in your malt, a nice warm place to live and thrive, with plenty of sugar to feed them.

You will probably also have a very fermentable wort, very dry beer... due to the LONGGGG mash.

Yeah thats basically what I'm asking. I've never read anything regarding this issue because its an uncommon technique.

You can ask around, I am only telling you what I have heard from numerous others who have done this. It has been reported that it was very dry. FWIW

Just do it and let us know, that is the best answer.

I mashed a mild at 152 but left it for 3+ hours to go watch a soccer match and saw 82.4% attenuation. It did not have the body of a beer mashed at 152, more like a beer mashed at 145-148. On a long enough time line even the alpha amalyse enzymes will break starches all the way down. I've got to go with The Pol here and say it will be very dry, my experience supports this.

After an hour of 152 wouldn't the 140's enzymes be denatured, keeping the beer from getting very dry?

limit-dextrinase would be but B-amylase probably isn't completely yet. It doesn't start to denature until about 150.

Thanks for chiming in...

I was pretty sure that was the case.

Thanks for chiming in...

I was pretty sure that was the case.

The other thing would be that a-amylase obviously wouldn't be denatured either and it still works below it's optimum temperature, just more slowly.

Bottled FG at 1.007-1.008 using Notty. Tasted good with a little of that moldy grain aroma. I'm hoping that goes away with age. From reading a little on the history I figured this was probably a lighter carbed beer. So I put maybe 8-9 tablespoons of priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back