Drinking homebrew is safer than I thought! Beers Implicated in Emergency Room Visits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
From NY Times:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...in-emergency-room-visits/?ref=health?src=dayp

Nationwide, roughly a third of all visits to emergency rooms for injuries are alcohol related. Now a new study suggests that certain beverages may be more likely to be involved than others.

The study, carried out over the course of a year at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, found that five beer brands were consumed most often by people who ended up in the emergency room. They were Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light.

Three of the brands are malt liquors, which typically contain more alcohol than regular beer. Four malt liquors accounted for nearly half of the beer consumption by emergency room patients, even though they account for less than 3 percent of beer consumption in the general population.

Previous studies have found that alcohol frequently plays a role in emergency room admissions, especially those stemming from car accidents, falls, homicides and drownings, said the lead author of the study, David H. Jernigan of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The new study, published in the journal Substance Use and Misuse, is the first to look at whether certain brands or types of liquor are overrepresented.

Dr. Jernigan said that the breakdown of liquor consumption in the study may be particular to Baltimore, and that he and his colleagues are hoping to study other cities as well. The findings could have policy implications, potentially influencing labeling requirements and marketing for higher-alcohol beers, Dr. Jernigan said.

I second blizzard. The last thing I want is some politician getting wind of a correlation and causing problems for my homebrewing. We might also ask the question, "if people drink those products by choice, are they crazy enough to do something dangerous?".

Reminds me of this.
internet-explorer.png

I think this article just aims to point out the overlapping demographics of "People who drink sh*tty malt liquor" and "People who make stupid decisions"

I think this article just aims to point out the overlapping demographics of "People who drink sh*tty malt liquor" and "People who make stupid decisions"

in a Venn Diagram, "People who drink sh*tty malt liquor" is an entirely contained subset of "People who make stupid decisions"

Looking at the beverages consumed, they are obviously ones that sell a lot more than others. It is like saying "More people go to the ER in New York City than in Wayne, NE." There is so much more to take into consideration. Gotta love statistics, they can mean whatever you want them to.

Sounds like a post graduated thesis was hacked up and published by a news reporter. . Pretty lousy one at that.

sounds like enough for some politicians to label malt liquor beverages "assault beers" banned in some states. well at least California. :( only criminals will have 40's of malt liquor.

Lol, I continue to see people sticking up for poor beer, and poor business ethics. I can't tell you how many people on this site say " O I respect BMC companies for their ability to mass produce beer on such a consistent scale, and how, if so many people drink it, then they must be doing something right. Actually, it is all marketing, and they spend a lot on it. You CAN correlate marketing to beer sales, which would then lead to such statistics as these. BMC is always pushing the party scene and could care less about your drinking responsibly. They ARE at fault, because thats what THEY push onto consumers. Get you heads out of your a***s and drink some homebrew and stop the BMC patriotism....

Lol, I continue to see people sticking up for poor beer, and poor business ethics. I can't tell you how many people on this site say " O I respect BMC companies for their ability to mass produce beer on such a consistent scale, and how, if so many people drink it, then they must be doing something right. Actually, it is all marketing, and they spend a lot on it. You CAN correlate marketing to beer sales, which would then lead to such statistics as these. BMC is always pushing the party scene and could care less about your drinking responsibly. They ARE at fault, because thats what THEY push onto consumers. Get you heads out of your a***s and drink some homebrew and stop the BMC patriotism....

What on Earth are you talking about?

When I was a young man, I drank cheap beer... and quite a bit of it. Now that I'm older, I enjoy a very nice home brewed beer or two... at home.

I challenge that home brewers are much more responsible than folks that drink cheap beer away from the house. I'd almost pay to see that study.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Read it again and do some research.... Google all the commercials of these companies, and you will see, usually, men, ages 25-35, that are acting retarded drinking a crap beer. Like I said, you look it up, there are too many to post...

When I was a young man, I drank cheap beer... and quite a bit of it. Now that I'm older, I enjoy a very nice home brewed beer or two... at home.

I challenge that home brewers are much more responsible than folks that drink cheap beer away from the house. I'd almost pay to see that study.

It is the personality. It is like, how homebrewers are usually more ingenuitive and creative, and that is what actually led them to homebrewing in the first place. People who drink to get drunk, drink BMC and cheap vodka. Yes, is that a stereotype? You bet, but a very accurate one....

It is the personality. It is like, how homebrewers are usually more ingenuitive and creative, and that is what actually led them to homebrewing in the first place. People who drink to get drunk, drink BMC and cheap vodka. Yes, is that a stereotype? You bet, but a very accurate one....

homebrewers are so creative, they make up words

pot smokers are pretty creative too, if you've seen some of the crap they use if they don't have a pipe or papers handy

The only way to drink 40s:

Edward 40Hands...that brings back memories...When I was in college, one night I was sitting in a movie theater watching Spiderman. Loud noise in the back and one of my fraternity brothers comes running down the aisle (theater was across the street from our house). "Dude, you have to come take Toby to the hospital." I guess a bunch of them had decided to do Edward 40Hands and at the end, one of the guys decided to smash his hands together with 40's still taped to them. :smack:

Back