Drilling into a side-by-side fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSomeMore

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if there was any concern about drilling into the refrigerator part on the side for my co2 line and taps? Its a Kenmore with the freezer side blowing into refrigerator side. I have not looked at the schematic yet. Thanks.

Looked at some generic Kenmore schematics. Looks fine for drilling on the refrigerator half on the side. Freezer side on the bottom and back have some lines going through it.

Side by sides SHOULD be ok if you're drilling through the side. I did it on my kegerator and all my research said that there's like a 99% chance you'll be fine. That said there is still as bit of a pucker factor each time you drill through it.

File_001_zpsmxjj2s71.jpeg

My first build was a keezer with a collar, so there was no worry. But drilling directly into a fridge, there is always that factor. So now I will have four more taps and more beer available which is a good thing.

there are never any refrigerant lines in the door, so drill away for tap handles.

That's 100% true about the door but I really enjoy not having the lines swing when i open the door which I also use for yeast storage and other canned/bottled beer. Plus as you can see in my photo above I have a post that protects my handles. Also, there is a very tight walk way between some furniture and the front of the fridge so I didn't want the taps sticking out into that walk way.

just make sure that the water line enters the fridge from the back, not the side (the fridge side) as why Most run up to the corner then in for the filter, some run up in the side.

That is something I did not consider. There is a water filter on bottom but I think it is goes up through the bottom to freezer side. As for drilling in front of the door, I think the tap lines wound get in the way. On the side at least they are stationary, but that is another option I was looking into. Thanks.

When doing my kegerator, I drilled a very tiny hole trying to just get through the stell on the exterior. Then used a piece of coat hanger wire with a small L on it as a probe. Pushed through the foam insulation and slowly enlarged the hole until I was sure of being clear. On my first try, I found a line going to the evaporator coil. Probed around to find a clear spot and redrilled there. Worked for me but YMMV. Take your time and go slow and you will be fine.

Back