Drilled a bit too large on keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alemaker

Reaction score
I went from too small to too big really quickly somehow. I wanted to solder it, but now I think there's way too much play. I have a 1/2" stainless coupling that I want to solder in for a drain valve. I'm using Stay-Brite 8, and it indicates that it is good at filling gaps in loose fittings, but I don't know HOW good.

What are my options?

I measured it, and I came up with 1 1/16", which is probably 1.07 like you have. I think one that measures 1.12 just might be perfect, if not still a tad bit loose, but the one I have now falls through freely.

What's a good source on a cast one?

Perhaps a "weldless" stainless bulk head would provide a better connection than just a coupling in an oversized hole. Rather than using the gasket, solder it in place to seal and fix it in place, should be pretty strong, will cost a few bucks more though??

Or perhaps a fitting like shown in this link would provide more surface are to solder.

http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/keg-conversion-101/

Perhaps a "weldless" stainless bulk head would provide a better connection than just a coupling in an oversized hole. Rather than using the gasket, solder it in place to seal and fix it in place, should be pretty strong, will cost a few bucks more though??

Or perhaps a fitting like shown in this link would provide more surface are to solder.

http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/keg-conversion-101/

A bulkhead type fitting might work. I think the hole is a little too large now to do what's described on Skotrat's site.

Measuring the diameter of something precisely isn't very easy without a micrometer. I wrapped some scotch tape around it, cut it with a knife, and measured the piece of tape I cut. That divided by 3.14 gave me about 1.09. So if that is accurate, I don't know how much another .03 inches is going to help. It's a Lasco brand coupling that I bought from Ace Hardware, if that helps anyone.

This one just might have to get TIG'd and have the gaps filled by the welder.

Latest posts

Back