Drill Settings for Step Bit (Posted Photo Somewhere)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Ok I've had some struggles with step bits, and looking to cut a few 1 1/8" holes soon. I remember someone posting a photo of their drill settings. It's fresh in my mind, as it was the same Rigid drill I own. I've searched and been through countless threads.

If anyone remembers who posted the photo, or which thread it was in please let me know.

Wow thread is very useful, but it was a photo of the actual drill and what setting they found was the best. Using the supplied link I'll see if I can find the RPMs of each drill setting.

As a last resort measure you can chain drill around the inside perimeter of the hole with a small diameter drill bit, cut any of links with a side cutters and use a sanding drum to open up to your final diameter. It can be time consuming, but will get you your results if nothing else helps.

Ok I've had some struggles with step bits, and looking to cut a few 1 1/8" holes soon. I remember someone posting a photo of their drill settings. It's fresh in my mind, as it was the same Rigid drill I own. I've searched and been through countless threads.

If anyone remembers who posted the photo, or which thread it was in please let me know.

not sure I understand. You mean your step bits have been breaking?

I used the bobby m method. Take some motor oil and put it in an empty can of beans or whatever. Once you get your pilot hole in and switch to step, dip the bit in the oil can. Then drill slow to medium speed and take rests, dip your bit in the oil and swish it intermittently to cool it and proceed. I have had great luck with drilling upt to 1 1/4 inch holes that way.

you should have a variable speed drill, non hammer. If you have a cordless, it should be set in the drill mode, not camming.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-burners-any-builders-out-there-228720/index34.html

i recently did a ball valve install on the same kettle.

Back