Double IPA & Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etmiller

Reaction score
Hey Folks! First time brewer here.

I'm well into my first batch of beer. It's a Extract Double IPA. Here's what went into the initial boil:

6oz. Crystal (Steeped for 20 minutes)
2 Cans Light Malt LME
2lbs. Munton's Extra Lite DME
Primed 1 Packet of Safeale 05 Dry Yeast in 1c water.
2oz. Centennial Hop pellets
1oz. Wilamette Hop pellets
1oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets
1oz. Cascade Hop Pellets
Hops were added at different intervals

Total boil time of 60 minutes. It has spent 10 Days in Primary and I just racked to secondary and added 1oz. Cascade Hop Pellets and 1oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets.

OG was 1.079. It's currently at 1.020.

Question is this - has the gravity gone down enough? From what I've read so far most DIPA's end with a lower gravity and start around the same place as this one did.

Otherwise, it's tastes pretty good so far.

Cheers,
Eric

What temp was it sitting at during fermentation? With another week and a slightly warmer temp you could have got it down a few points more than likely which would dry it out and in my opinion help for a IIPA. Still might drop a bit. Extract kits can end high sometimes and 1.020 isn't that bad. It will just be a bit sweeter than it maybe should be. So long as it tastes pretty good right?

It's been hanging out between 69F and 70F.

Also of note, I literally JUST used 5 gallons of water. I definitely don't have 5 gallons of beer after the boil and loss in the racking - those pellets sucked up a lot of wort!

You will loose a lot to the pellets. What I would do is add exactly five gallons to your fermenter next time and then mark it off so you always know where to top it off to with extra water.

It gets easier. Look at the bright side, you are already sitting on a near 8% beer... anything lower will just get better and better (to a point). 10 days isn't that long. Swirl it around a bit and see if you can eke out a few more points. When I was brewing 5 gal hopped beers, I always worked it out for 5 1/4-1/2 gal brews to make up for loss to hops. Start with close to 6 1/2 gal and lose a gal to evaporation and 1/2 gal to trub and hops.

Brewing 7 gal of a Double IPA this weekend (Double Jack clone, takeoff)... which uses close to 18 oz of hops so I shoot for 7 3/4 gal of wort when all is said and done... Remember that the volume in the bk goes down upon cooling also.... Good luck and have fun...

Latest posts

Back