Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think adding the cocoa powder to the secondary. Would add a smoother more mellow chocolate flavor?? Brew nubie question

I think that's more a function of the amount of chocolate flavor. I like mine to grab your by the throat and scream "CHOCOLATE!!!!!" in your face. If you want mellow, back off on the cocoa powder. A lot. :D I feel like the boil really helps to bring the chocolate out of the cocoa powder. It roils around and seems to extract really well that way.

I'm like you i LOVE the chocolate favor. I was hoping to get to brewing today. Wife had honey do's.

I've got blackberry bushes that are still putting out ripe berries and my daughter is getting tired of eating them. I'm thinking about taking 5 or 6 lbs of them and adding them to this brew. Double chocolate blackberry oatmeal snout...

Now that's sound tasty. I enjoy Buffalo Bill's Blueberry stout. I'm going to have to look over the fruit beers to see how that is done.

Now that's sound tasty. I enjoy Buffalo Bill's Blueberry stout. I'm going to have to look over the fruit beers to see how that is done.

If you don't want to just find a recipe, what I like to do with something like that is to think about what you'd like to go with the blueberry, then find a recipe that fits that. That's actually how I came up with this one. I wanted the heavy duty cocoa flavor in it so I found a stout recipe to branch off of.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago and had an OG of 1.078, 1st partial mash so I probably screwed it up, it is now at 1.04 for about last two weeks. Does that seem right? Or do you think it's maybe stuck?

Btw thanks for sharing the recipe!

Probably stuck. I'd try gently rousing the yeast. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl (not a shake or slosh) to get some of the yeast cake suspended. Also, make sure it's not getting too cold at night. It's been getting chilly in Seattle lately.

I moved it from my garage to a closet for a more stable temp. Ill try a gentle stir. It's actually 1.030 not 1.040. Will there still be sugar conversion if mash is over 155 like 158?

Ok, I finally got this one some kitchen time. Brewed this one last night. made a half batch 2 1/2gal. VERY thick and creamy. OG was 1.086. the program used to no calc og said 1.072. A little confused about that. Started with 3 gal of water ended bang on 2 1/2gal. Checked this morning ferm has started. Mash temp was 156 had a short spike up to 159.5. Pitching temp was 72. NOW The fourth day, No bubbles going throw airlock. Krausen is gone. Haven't checked gravity. Seems to soon. 2"+ of trub stuff on the bottom of the cab. Yoohoo in color.

I put this together yesterday. I followed the original recipe, and ended up with an OG of 1.073. I did try to get the most out of the grains, and substituted 1lb of LME for some DME, so that might have raised it. Oh, and I probably did 4oz. of lactose.

I bought an 8oz. container of cocoa powder, and used most of it, so probably 7oz, so hopefully it's more balanced than the original 9oz. the recipe called for.

When I tasted the hydro sample I just said to myself, "damn, I wish I had some whiskey for this", but I am not a whiskey drinker.

I'm planning on giving this as xmas presents if it works out. Anyone know how long this should be in the secondary, or should I just leave it until a few weeks before xmas?

I'm planning on giving this as xmas presents if it works out. Anyone know how long this should be in the secondary, or should I just leave it until a few weeks before xmas?

I'd go with three weeks in primary and a week in secondary. That'll give you 6 weeks or so to carb up. This is a higher alcohol brew and might take a little bit longer to carb up. Plus, higher alcohol brews need a little more time to get ready to drink.

I'd go with three weeks in primary and a week in secondary. That'll give you 6 weeks or so to carb up. This is a higher alcohol brew and might take a little bit longer to carb up. Plus, higher alcohol brews need a little more time to get ready to drink.

Good point. Looking through the thread, it seems like some people have trouble with it carbing up

I brewed this up last night. Used Rapunzel's Organize Cocao Powder (with < 1g/fat per serving), 7oz. Very much looking forward to it!

Mine is still aging nicely, you might want to watch your fermentation temperature, I tried to keep mine down, but it's rather estery.

It actually reminds me of a beer I had at a Kohler homebrew tasting called cocoa monkey, like a chocolate banana.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago and had an OG of 1.078, 1st partial mash so I probably screwed it up, it is now at 1.04 for about last two weeks. Does that seem right? Or do you think it's maybe stuck?

Btw thanks for sharing the recipe!

I had the close the the same readings. Og was 1.08 and the FG 1.04. Bottled 10 days ago. I can see the bubbles in the beer. It just doesn't feel like it in the mouth. I was hoping for sweetness. It's still a little to sweet. But, for a first brew. I'm pleased and learned ALOT.:mug:

Infected :(

Might save a few bottles, but going to dump most of it so I have room for something else

Has anyone tried added blackberry to this recipe? That's been on my mind for a while. Any idea's on that?

Has anyone tried added blackberry to this recipe? That's been on my mind for a while. Any idea's on that?

I haven't yet, but got a bunch of blackberries in the freezer from our plants this summer and was thinking about doing just that.

The idea of adding blackberries. Just seems like an AWESOME dessert beer. ChshreCat, How long do you think it would take to age?

I got #7.5 of blackberries yesterday. In the freezer now. To save until ready to brew, I'm going to vacuum seal them into #1 bags. Looking at the fruit beers, they average #3 to #5 in a 5gal batch. Do you think #5 will be enough to add a good berry flavor to the beer? Hmm, Chocolate Blackberry oatmeal stout. OH YEAH

Your recipe is a great base for so many idea's.

Thanks!

I think 5# would be plenty. 3 or 4 would probably do it, really, but if you want the blackberry to be more pronounced, then 5 would do it.

I was thinking about adding some berry to this recipe as well; let us know how it turns out fastfocus!

A friend ask me a while back about doing that. He love the toasted coconut marshmallows. LOL Going to get my grains (hopefully) this week to get the blackberry chocolate oatmeal milk stout together.:ban:

Sorry if I am repeating this question as I might have skipped over it somewhere in the long thread...

As I have continually came back to this recipe and find myself salivating at the thought of making it for myself, I think a touch more of a caramel or toffee note pulling through the chocolate would be awesome. Would upping the amount of caramel/crystal malt assist with this or should I look to another method such as an extract if there is one?

Thanks in advance for any help or smart a** comments!

Just bottled this one a few nights ago; very excited to try it carb'd. I left it on the vanilla bean for 10 days and the vanilla really came through strong. I'm hoping the vanilla relaxes as it conditions but I'll definitely be brewing this again. Thanks for the recipe ChshreCat.

ChshreCat, We talked about the black berry addition to your stout. If i wanted to boost the ABV would it make a favor difference using a cane or corn sugar to do this Vs using DME. I understand making this a bigger beer will require extra aging.

ChshreCat, We talked about the black berry addition to your stout. If i wanted to boost the ABV would it make a favor difference using a cane or corn sugar to do this Vs using DME. I understand making this a bigger beer will require extra aging.

Just bottled this one a few nights ago; very excited to try it carb'd. I left it on the vanilla bean for 10 days and the vanilla really came through strong. I'm hoping the vanilla relaxes as it conditions but I'll definitely be brewing this again. Thanks for the recipe ChshreCat.

nudist, i added vanilla to this recipy. When they say a little goes a long way. THEY MEAN IT.

Well, don't up it too much since this sometimes takes some time to condition already. A lb of corn sugar would bump you up about another 1% abv but I wouldn't push it past that. If you want more then rework the recipe into something bigger.

I just brewed up a somewhat similar (5 gal) batch, but during the boil realized that I only had 4 oz. of cocoa powder. I figured I'd chocolate-up by adding nibs during secondary. Is there some weight ratio that I can use to compare nib weight vs. powder weight so that I don't under- or over-chocolate it?

Edit: The only cocoa nibs I could find are sprayed with cocoa liquor, so I bought some organic chocolate extract instead (ethanol, agave juice sweetener, and cocoa powder) - have to figure out how little of this potent stuff to use...

Just go to your local market and get some Dutched Cocoa and add another 4 ounces to the secondary....it all settles to the bottom anyway and leaves the flavor in the beer. Rack right onto the powder.

Just go to your local market and get some Dutched Cocoa and add another 4 ounces to the secondary....it all settles to the bottom anyway and leaves the flavor in the beer. Rack right onto the powder.

There's no cross-contamination concerns doing this? (I guess I can soak the powder in vodka).

The same exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago....I made a slury with vodka but it made such a thick paste I had concerns about it dissolving properly. I ended up just racking onto the cocoa and it at first sat on top for a couple days then eventually after a week it all settled on the bottom.

I don't bottle condition...Kegged it last weekend and just had a glass 30 minutes ago and it is awesome. I am considering following the same process with the next batch.

There's no cross-contamination concerns doing this? (I guess I can soak the powder in vodka).

Once the beer is in secondary the chance of infection is quite low. Plus, the cocoa powder is coming in a sealed container. It's not like you're scraping it off the cacao pods from your back yard. :D

The same exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago....I made a slury with vodka but it made such a thick paste I had concerns about it dissolving properly. I ended up just racking onto the cocoa and it at first sat on top for a couple days then eventually after a week it all settled on the bottom.

I don't bottle condition...Kegged it last weekend and just had a glass 30 minutes ago and it is awesome. I am considering following the same process with the next batch.

Cocoa powder won't dissolve. It's a powder, but it's a solid. It'll settle out, but it leaches out flavor.

Just put this in secondary, over a split vanilla bean I had soaking in a wee bit of vodka for 5 days (the vodka/extract went in as well). The wort/beer had a great oatmeal stout taste coming out of the primary, with a noticeable, but slight chocolate taste - exactly what I wanted - 4 oz. of cocoa powder worked out perfectly. It had a wonderful chocolate aroma that I hope sticks around when I bottle.

OK, just sampled this with a blackberry addition. #1 of berries per gallon. Very tart flavor when compared to the other half with no berries. Much drier in flavor and more of a wine like in taste. Was hoping for a little purple in the head. Nope. I'd say so far a swing and a miss. Maybe with some aging the tartness will mellow out. WOW is it tart. For using ripe sweet fruit, It's like sucking on the vine.

Just bottled this about a week ago, and the sample I took tasted fantastic. I know its warm out and almost summer but I can't wait until this is ready to drink.

Back