Double brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Saison this morning everything went normal.
For the afternoon I brewed a dark mild. Here's where it went crazy.
Preboil gravity was supposed to be 1.029, ended up being 1.056.
I was actually expecting it to come up a little short because I did a full volume mash.
I ended up adding another 2.5 gallons of water to it.
The whole time I'm going nuts wondering what the he'll happened, then I double check the grain bill I wrote up at the homebrew shop.

Yep, instead of 6 lbs. Marris Otter I bought 12 because I was gonna brew a Pale ale as well. I ended up using the whole thing.
Meanwhile I have all the other grains and if I would have realized it in time I could have made a 10 batch.

Oh well, it will ferment and I will still have beer.

More than I'd like to admit I've slugged back a few too many on long brew days and had impromptu "alterations" to my recipe. It is what it is and it may turn out to be a great experiment, you never know!

You could steep some speciality grains in preboiled water to add to your dark mild. Mine has some chocolate and biscuit malt and I've steeped both once for similar reasons. Turned out great.

More than I'd like to admit I've slugged back a few too many on long brew days and had impromptu "alterations" to my recipe. It is what it is and it may turn out to be a great experiment, you never know!

Yeah, the problem is that I didn't have anything to drink.
I've done that too many times. My new rule is not to drink on brew day.
Or at least not until I'm completely done.

I recommend a nap between brew sessions. Clears out the cobwebs!

That sounds like a good idea.
The problem is that I sorted out my grains the day before and it was pretty late into the night. New rule, don't do anything regarding brewing while sleepy.

You could steep some speciality grains in preboiled water to add to your dark mild. Mine has some chocolate and biscuit malt and I've steeped both once for similar reasons. Turned out great.

Didn't think about that, I totally could have done that. Won't bother now.

I got tired just reading this thread! The thought of a double or triple isn't appealing! I like to put my 4 or so hours in and then start drinking!

Back