double batched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
well, I attempted my first double batch using the same grain bill. I made my first 5 gal batch as always, then resparged the grains and started a second 5 gal batch. I added an additional 31/2 pound of DME to comp for the loss in sugar. I also used different hops then the first batch.

8 weeks later I just tapped both kegs . Both brews are great, with each having their own taste.

For the small cost of addition DME, hops and yeast, it went quite well. I am already planning my second try at it this weekend.

For the small cost of addition DME, hops and yeast, it went quite well. I am already planning my second try at it this weekend.

Isn't DME, hops and yeast the most expensive part of the recipe? Base grain is pretty cheap if you buy in bulk. I would guess that it would have been cheaper to get another 6-8lbs of base grain rather than using DME. You also could have saved some money by making a starter (maybe use your DME here instead of in the beer) and only using one packet of yeast.

But it always is nice to get 10gal out of a brew day. I almost always brew 10gal batches now.

I did my first double-batch brew day yesterday. 20lbs of grain, one mash, 5 gallons of 1.072 Cascade IPA and 4.5 gallons of 1.041 Glacier small beer. It will be nice to have a quick-finishing batch and also something to look forward to in a couple months - and also to taste for similarities in two beers that share only a grain bill.

My best brew day yet, it only got a little hairy when the sanitizer I was siphoning from a 7-gallon bucket overflowed the 5-gallon carboy.. :cross:

Back