Double Batch Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveVonRenn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to brew 90L of a golden ale with US-05. However, I can only brew 45L at a time, so I am stuck with a few options.

1.) Brew the first batch, chill it and let it sit in the fermenter until the second batch is done in about 5 hours at which time I combine the two batches in one large fermenter, oxygenate and pitch collectively.

2.) Brew the first batch, chill, oxygenate, pitch. Brew the second batch immediately after, chill, oxygenate, pitch and then combine the two already oxygenated and pitched worts in one large fermenter.

3.) Brew the first batch, chill, oxygenate, pitch. Brew the second batch the next day and simply pour it onto the the first fermenting batch (Drauflassen).

I will mix the two batches in a 120L fermenter since I only have one temp control system at the moment.

Which method would be best for the yeast and final beer?

Prost :mug:

I like option #1. Makes for a long brew day of course... but if you pace yourself you shouldn't get to :drunk:

Make sure you pitch in enough yeast! Maybe 4-5 packets total? That total is like 24 gal U.S. !

Thanks for the reply.

My main concern with Option 1 was the 6 hour lag time, but as long as I keep my sanitation in order it shouldn't be a problem.

It is an American Blonde Ale, so the OG will be around about 1048. Four packs should suffice.

Prost from Germany

In terms of yeast health and management any of the three are fine. For option 3, I think you got this, but to clarify, you'll only need to pitch enough yeast for the first wort, because the yeast will probably have doubled overnight. This means that the second batch of wort only needs to be aerated before adding to the first because there will be plenty of yeast. The aeration will help with the cell membrane.

I'd go with option #3, you'll have a heathy yeast colony going if the initial pitch works out and will make life quite a bit easier on you time wise.

Back