doppelbocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a random dopplebock at the store the other day. It was a Bischoff screw-top 500ml bottle, and I was intrigued to say the least.

I opened the bottle and noticed an odd grape-like purple on the inside of the cap. This is where things started to go downhill. The beer tasted like metallic bitter grape beer and was thoroughly unenjoyable.

I didn't want to rule out an entire style of beer given one experience, so I came here. Is this dark-fruit/grape flavor a part of the doppelbock style? I'm hoping that these unpleasant characteristics are unique to this particular beer, and not all doppelbocks.

That said, any recommendations for delicious beers that can restore the style's reputation with me?

A local brewery around here "thomas Creeck" has a very good Dopple Bock. Had it on tap at several pubs around town and love it.

Don't remeber there being a grapefruity taste.

purple inside the cap? You mean like slimy? Sounds like an infected bottle.

My favorite is Spaten Optimator. It's very reasonably priced (Around $15 for a 12 pack) and it packs a punch. Very great, malty beer. I love it and it's SWMBO's favorite.

That said, any recommendations for delicious beers that can restore the style's reputation with me?

Sounds like you definitely have a bad bottle. There are, of course, great examples of the style---the BJCP guidelines has a great list for commercial examples of style 5C:
Commercial Examples: Paulaner Salvator, Ayinger Celebrator, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel, Spaten Optimator, Tucher Bajuvator, Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock, Capital Autumnal Fire, EKU 28, Eggenberg Urbock 23º, Bell’s Consecrator, Moretti La Rossa, Samuel Adams Double Bock
I personally like Paulaner Salvator, Ayinger Celebrator, Spaten Optimator, Bell's Consecrator, Troeg's Troegnator, and Victory St. Victorious.

Prost!!

Spaten Optimator was actually my first 'real' beer... it showed me that beer can actually be really, really good!

Still a great deal, wonderful caramel toasted marshmallow flavors... it's my SWMBO's fave, as well...

although for complexity, Celebrator has Optimator beat.

Salvator is the 'original' dopplebock, and to my taste, is a bit sweeter than the others.

I would definitely say that if I cracked open a dopplebock and tasted metallic bitter grape, i'd probably want my $ back...

Wagner Valley, has a award winning Dopplebock called Sled Dog. They are from CNY and I am not sure how wide their distribution is.

Back