Don't Order from Harbor Freight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
All,
I ordered the low speed drill (93632) from HF and finally got it today (to hook up to my grain mill). But they sent me the low speed drill item #60436 instead. I called them and was told that the one I wanted was backordered, so they sent 60436 because it was comparable to the one I wanted.

After explaining to them that if I had wanted 60436 I would have ordered it, and that I needed the other one for my needs, I was told that they'd send me a mailing label to send it back for a refund.

What about my drill, I asked? Well, it's backordered, and if I reordered the drill, I'd get 60436 sent to me again because it's comparable, and that's their policy. Of course I informed them that if this is their idea of customer service I wouldn't be shopping with them again.

I posted a review to say this on HF, and I'm doing here to give you fair warning.

Caveat emptor.

Well - it is Harbor Freight after all. I generally don't expect stellar customer service or quality products from them.

I only use them for items that I will need to use once or twice (I got a floor nailer from them for $80 instead of $400 at Lowes).

I will admit that their logic is a little screwy. Generally, when I order something I expect to get what I ordered as well.

Did they at least send you a more expensive drill model?

Yeah they aren't the best for ordering from I like to go to the actual store though, I always find something to blow my money on in there

This is exactly what happened to me
I called the next time before I ordered, applied my extra discount I made them give me and they sent me what I ordered. Even with this stupid policy the drill is worth the annoyance of dealing with their bs.

Same thing happened with me, but I have been able to use the drill they sent me without any problems yet. I run a 3-roller Monster Mill with it. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't crap out on me.

We have a harbor freight store over in North Olmsted. I just drive over there if I need something, although they don't have all the stuff in the catalog. That can be annoying.

I called today to see if I could pull off a poptarts deal and they told me that the 93632 has been discontinued. So I guess I'll keep the drill I got. I made the grain mill/drill mount today, but it'll be a few days before I can test it out with grain. I plan on using a small c clamp to control the speed since I don't have the speed dial on the trigger.

I don't know if it's discontinued or not, but if it is, you'd think they'd pull it off the website. The cynic in me is inclined to believe that since it has better reviews than the replacement, then they'll keep it up to get orders.

Oh well. As long as it works I guess.

I bought a 1/2" low speed drill from Harbor Freight (in store, not mail order) to power my grain mill and it's one of the best homebrew purchases I've made. The thing works great and it only cost a fraction of the price of other options I was considering. I'll definitely buy from them again (and again), but I'm glad you mentioned their substitution policy.

I ordered a 1lb dead blow hammer once...recieved a pack of laminating sheets.

Customer service was actually pretty good. They promptly shipped my hammer and told me to just keep the laminating sheets. I don't even have a laminater.

HF has it's place. I bought a brad air nailer for $20. Managed to use it for the project intended and many more...rock solid and heck of a deal compared to name brands. Also my $6 3" air cutoff tool does all I could ever want it to do.

I agree that the substitute policy sucks, unless they select a product that is truly an upgrade...

I love having a store about a mile away. I can go and look at the product before buying. If you are careful about what you buy, the prices are tough to beat. The quality of what I have bought is pretty good. I have also seen some pretty crappy looking things in the store...

It's the same policy at the storefronts. If you go with the sale ad to my local store to get a brand x drill, they may only carry brand Y (with the same specs). To me it's not a big deal because I generally buy things there that I plan on using once. In other words, my expectations are not high with this company.

I called today to see if I could pull off a poptarts deal and they told me that the 93632 has been discontinued. So I guess I'll keep the drill I got. I made the grain mill/drill mount today, but it'll be a few days before I can test it out with grain. I plan on using a small c clamp to control the speed since I don't have the speed dial on the trigger.

I don't know if it's discontinued or not, but if it is, you'd think they'd pull it off the website. The cynic in me is inclined to believe that since it has better reviews than the replacement, then they'll keep it up to get orders.

Oh well. As long as it works I guess.

I went into my local HF to get this same drill... They had the one with the lock and speed dial on display, but couldn't sell it to me.
I ended up getting the one you got. Oh well!

Looks like the only difference in between the two is the speed control dial on the trigger and a trigger lock. The speed control dial just prevents you from pressing down on the trigger too much. The same thing can be achieved by using a wood clamp on it.

Sure, they should have told you the truth about them discontinuing the other model. But it's an easy workaround.

Well crap. I logged in here today to search for the right Harbor Freight drill to get for my Christmas present, a Cereal Killer mill, and I see this thread. So which one do I order now??? Perfect timing, huh?

I went into my local HF to get this same drill... They had the one with the lock and speed dial on display, but couldn't sell it to me.
I ended up getting the one you got. Oh well!

Same thing here. That's what started the whole online ordering process for me. :mug:

Well crap. I logged in here today to search for the right Harbor Freight drill to get for my Christmas present, a Cereal Killer mill, and I see this thread. So which one do I order now??? Perfect timing, huh?

I don't have a good answer for you as I haven't used the drill yet. But I'd say between the two, IF you can get the 93632, then get it. I only say that because it has better reviews than the other one, and it was recommended on this board, which is why I looked for it to begin with.

I decided to keep the 60436 (since the other is supposedly discontinued). I mounted it to a board with the mill and will use a small c clamp to control the trigger. So I imagine it will work just as fine. I'm milling grain for a doppelbock this weekend, so I'll find out how it works. I hope it does. That's a lot of grain to do by hand.

Apparently the 60436 has a tendency to crap out if you switch between forward and reverse. I plan to only use in forward and never run in reverse.

I had to buy a whole shop-full of tools in a hurry as part of an insurance claim and ended up getting a bunch of things from HF. Some stuff was useless, like the digital calipers that only turn on if you squeeze them just right and need a new battery every month. A lot of the tools are just worth what I paid, but not a real bargain. And then there are some value gems like the angle grinders. They are so cheap that you should buy buy one for each type of grinding disk that you use on a regular basis. By the time I wore out the spare brushes that came with them they had done enough work to justify at least 8X the cost.

phyllobeddo,
I brewed my doppelbock with 19+ lbs of grain today. The drill worked perfectly. The c clamp allowed me to make small adjustments to the speed as necessary.

I ended up with 70% efficiency even with that amount of grain, so I can't complain. Plus, the drill didn't seem to get hot at all.

I stand by my original thought, though. If you can get the 93632 I'd get it. If not, I think you'll be ok with the other one.

Good luck.

Ha! I just got your name.

phyllobeddo,
I brewed my doppelbock with 19+ lbs of grain today. The drill worked perfectly. The c clamp allowed me to make small adjustments to the speed as necessary.

I ended up with 70% efficiency even with that amount of grain, so I can't complain. Plus, the drill didn't seem to get hot at all.

I stand by my original thought, though. If you can get the 93632 I'd get it. If not, I think you'll be ok with the other one.

Good luck.

Ha! I just got your name.

Thanks for the follow up! I still haven't ordered or bought a drill yet. I've just been looking around. Thanks again.

Back