Don't hate, just help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
Hey all, it's been some time since I've been on here! School and work make it difficult to find beer making time, but here I am...at it again! This time I have a pretty technical question at hand...i need a RIMS part list as well as some input and information on wiring and electrical connections. The diagram I have made is pretty detailed and shows exactly what I'd like to do, a pretty standard RIMS set up. I have a chugger pump already as well as another on the way plus my control box housing. I need help! Google searches are a dead end, to much info to sift through for my liking. Searching the forums has yielded some valuable information, but I'd love to compile it all in one neat and tidy thread. Could even end up being a resource for other newbies such as my self. The goals are as follows; tell me in lamens terms how to wire this bad boy up (what hardware will I need in the box, how do I hook everything up), tell me what parts go with with that (what kind of element should I use, probe, etc.), and let me know if there are any glaring issues with my design. Thanks!
System_Diagram.png

System Diagram.jpg

You try this?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Parts list and all. I can attest it works as advertised.

Ok this is a fantastic start, really great place for me to begin and it actually takes care of a lot of questions that have been irking me. What about instruction on how to wire the internals of my box?? Splitting out one input VAC line to a few different components.

What's your batch size? I suppose with a 2000 watt element you can do a boil of five gallons if the outlet you are talking about is 20 amps. Many "normal" household outlets are 15 amps. You'll need a gfci outlet as well.

There are a lot of great wiring diagrams around here. The electric brewery site tells you everything you need to know. You can buy illuminated switches from automationdirect.com, but these are only rated for 10 amps, so you'll need relays. The PID can't use mechanical relays due to how fast and often it will fire the element, so you'll need an solid state relay and heat sink.

Really, the electric brewery site has everything you need, well explained with lots of diagrams and even links to parts, everything from how to safely mount and pot your elements to the switches, relays, etc.

Here's a LINK to a basic diagram for what you want to do.

Back