Doin' a Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorbarose

Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm brewing a Leffe Blonde clone, but making it with not so much body; you might say a Leffe Blonde Pilsner. So I've got two yeasts going, one ale and one lager. it's been fermenting for a week at 63. to get it colder, i put a bag of ice cubes next to the primary with a fan running.

is there any danger i need to look out for using the ice? I am rotating the ice, so it doesn't melt too much, and i am resting the bag in a shallow bucket so when it does melt, it doesn't rest on the floor and get that all wet.

neal

I will do my first brew tomorrow so take my advice for what it is. My only real credentials is reading a crap load on this message board. Everyone has told me that making an ice path for the primary is fine to do. I think I will do that b/c I live in TX.

after reading info on how bacteria can "ride" the air, I wouldn't think an ice bath is ok. Even though the airlock will keep it safe from contaminents, i'd be nervous about bacteria riding the air and getting in when the lock is removed for a hydrometer reading.

But I'm wondering if i'd be safe with a bag of ice?

Neal

When fermenting, the yeast creates carbon dioxide, which is pushed off the surface of the beer from pressure in the fermenter. This is what makes your airlock bubble. Nothing will get in. Even if you remove your airlock, gas will still be pushing out of the fermenter.

There are plenty of people who submerge their fermenters in water to cool it. Nothing will happen except you'll get a cleaner fermentation.

why do you feel an ice bath is causing a bacteria issue? I mean, cold greatly reduces bacteria activity. Your eager, heavy breathing, excited self, leaning over the primary is probably nastier than that water (no offense)

Just turn the fan off when doing any measurements. Also, my water bath has a bit off bleach in it to keep it clean. Just a little!

No Danger at all. A lot of people do it I wuld suggest putting a tiny bit of bleach in the bath though unless you are going to change out the water regularly cause it will get mildew. But the brew is fine hell I quit using Airlocks and just use foil or saran wrap now.

Back