Dogs! Tail Docking...yes/no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
So I saw the other thread and instead of further distracting from the intended purpose of that thread (showing cute cuddly pics of our dogs) I figured I'd start a new thread.

This topic can be a touchy one and can easily get heated and out of hand so please keep things civil. We are all adults and have our own ideas and if we disagree about those ideas it doesn't make us anything other than different.

For me, tail docking or dew claw removal is a preference depending on what your dog will be doing. If you're getting a puppy and this is the breed that calls for this, I see no problems with it. And yes, even if it's cosmetic. The caveat to that stance is only if the procedures are done when as a young young pup and not when you adopt them and they're 6 years old.

Of course there are situations where there is a medical need and of course that's warranted, but the premise I'm speaking of in this thread is strictly as an elective procedure.

I see it as no different than having your human baby boy circumcised personally. If done at the right time and correctly, there is little to no harm.

Here in Northern Ireland, docking was actually made illegal last year.

Our springer spaniel has a docked tail - undocked they are just far too difficult to keep, they get matted and dirty easily and, especially in the case of a gun dog like ours, gets caught on bush and thorns constantly.

As you have stated, if done correctly it is no harm to the animal.

I've not had a dog that this is typically done to, so I never looked into it. I've heard it's done for working dog reasons, whatever that means, and it may be legit. Working animals are different than pets.

What I see is house pet Boxers and Rots with chopped off tails. My general opinion is, if you don't want tails, don't get pets with tails. Our vicious Chihuahuas have tails. Our cats have claws. Our fish have fins.

Chimps do not make good pets.

I'm fine with it as long as it's done when they are young.

The dew claw thing is a necessity in my opinion. I had a Pyrenes that didn't have that done and we made multiple vet trips because he'd get his dew claws caught and rip off the nails.

Back