Dogfish Head60 Minute IPA consistency issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
I was on a mini vacation to Ontario Canada and picked up my first 6 pack of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. So far, out of the 4 beer I have drank, I loved 2 and wasn't fussy about the other 2. Is this just me or does anyone else notice a difference between individual bottles?

I am wondering if it could be related to a temperature difference, or the difference of drinking out of the bottle versus a glass?

I drank the first out of the bottle, and never enjoyed it. The second I poured into a glass and loved it. The third, I never had a glass, so I used a coffee mug, and it was not horrible. The fourth which I am drinking now, is out of a proper beer glass with a laser etched bottom and it is awesome. Can the drinking apparatus cause that much of a difference?

Dogfish 60min is pretty much my go-to commercial beer. Never really noticed any inconsistancies, especially fromthe same 6 pack, though I'll generally drink all 6 in the same manner and not switch from glass to bottle, etc. With something like an IPA, I can see how drinking from the bottle could hamper the experience. So much of the beer is in the aroma and your nose can't get involved when drinking out of a long neck.

I also don't think I could enjoy any beer out of a coffee mug...that just seems wrong.

DFH is not pasteurized, and based on what I've read on these pages, I would say that it doesn't travel well. There was a thread a while back where the merits of various beers were discussed, and it was my impression that the further you were from Delaware, the less likely you were to like DFH.

I'm a career logistician and I can tell you that real "cold chain management" is very tricky and something that is almost unaffordable for a commodity like beer. So chances are, it went out of temperature range somewhere in transit, and this will have an adverse effect on taste.

Also, drinking a high quality beer from a bottle is like wearing a raincoat in the shower. You just can't expect the same experience. I use those water glasses that they leave in the bathrooms - not good, but better than nothing.

DFH is not pasteurized, and based on what I've read on these pages, I would say that it doesn't travel well. There was a thread a while back where the merits of various beers were discussed, and it was my impression that the further you were from Delaware, the less likely you were to like DFH.

I'm a career logistician and I can tell you that real "cold chain management" is very tricky and something that is almost unaffordable for a commodity like beer. So chances are, it went out of temperature range somewhere in transit, and this will have an adverse effect on taste.

Also, drinking a high quality beer from a bottle is like wearing a raincoat in the shower. You just can't expect the same experience. I use those water glasses that they leave in the bathrooms - not good, but better than nothing.

I think you're likely to notice a huge difference in flavor of an IPA between the bottle and the glass. Remember that scent is a large part of taste. You're never going to get that big hop smell all in your face if you're drinking from a bottle.

Based on my reading here it seems that the big aroma of an IPA due to the late hops and dry hopping fades at a more accelerated rate than say, the bittering hops. So I would say this is more likely to affect flavor over transit time than the lack of a pastuerization process.

Back