does this sound right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
gonna bottle 3 or 4 750ml bottles and then keg the rest.

does 1/2 oz of corn sugar sound right to prime a irish red ale at 65 degrees.

aiming for something like 1 - 1.3 of CO2 per bottle.

Yeah, I would suggest kegging first and then bottling. A cheap bottle filler can be made easily. Look up Biermuncher's bottle filler.

I agree, that allows you to set the carbonation properly and not have to worry about the guesswork.

i did try that and it was acceptable but it didn't hiss like normal after several days. i know someone must do the old funnel measured dextrose into a bottle method. these will be sitting out for several months then mailed back home. just wonder if anyone messed with individual bottling.

i did try that and it was acceptable but it didn't hiss like normal after several days. i know someone must do the old funnel measured dextrose into a bottle method. these will be sitting out for several months then mailed back home. just wonder if anyone messed with individual bottling.

I am assuming you are refering to the hiss you get when you crack a bottle open. If so, when you use priming sugar, the CO2 builds up in the head space as it carbs. Force carbing beer does that but with the headspace in the keg. When you bottle from a keg, it takes time for the CO2 to come out of solution and fill the headspace of the bottle and reach equilibrium between the headspace and beer. Just cause you dont get a immediate hiss doesnt mean that there is something a miss.

Sorry, just realized that rhymed. My bad.

aaah ok that makes sense. hmmm i wonder if my buddy still has that beer i bottled using the keg method. yep he has it. gonna get it tonight and see what the deal is.

Back