Does chugger pump handle pellet hop gunk ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Just bought 2 new Chugger pumps and wondered how well they handle hop pellet gunk.

Because, I like to free boil my hops (no bag or hop basket) and wondered if I could just send my boiled wort through the counterflow chiller with the Chugger without the hops chocking it up.

I would be more concerned with it clogging the chiller.

I've only had issues with whole hops clogging my pump but i've not tried 10oz of hop sludge + trub. If it'll go through the pump the CFC will be fine (a plate chiller is an entirely different story tho!).

I've only had an issue once, doing a whirlpool addition...
it was around 4oz i think, i dumped them in and they got sucked right in to the dip tube before they disolved and clogged everything, had to get my CO2 tank to blast through the lines, which cleared it out and i was able to continue.
So the only thing different i do is turn off the pump and stir for a bit and turn the pump back on... haven't had any issues since.

i had 16oz of hops in a 5gal recipe for an IIPA once that got pumped through just fine

Thanks everyone, just what I wanted to hear.

Got a 10 gal IPA batch with 9 Oz coming up tomorrow.

I don't use a plate chiller so hopefully I should be OK.

I whirlpool all my pellet hops through my chugger pump with no issues, however I always let everything settle before I send it through my plate chiller.

Back