Does bottled beer taste different over 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyjojojr

Reaction score
Hi. I tried my beer after 1 week. Carbed but nothing fabulous. Is the yeast creating off flavours during this mini ferment?

You still have "green" beer after only one week of conditioning. Give your beer two to three weeks of conditioning, longer for high gravity beers. Condition in the 70°F range. A few days to a week chilled and flavor will have developed making an okay beer really good.

My wife will ask how old a bottle of my homebrew is before she'll accept one. Anything less than six weeks she might pass on it if there is anything else available.

IMHO the lighter beers I make now are fine after 3 weeks at 20degreesC followed by a at least two (5-7 is better) days in the fridge. But the beers I made when I was starting out and didn't have a good way to control temperatures definately benefitted from some extra conditioning. That has influenced my wife's opinion to this day (over 2 years later).

The only reason to drink beer at one week in the bottle is if you want to get a sense of how beer improves over time. That or there is nothing else left in the house to drink and it is too late/you are already too drunk to go out and buy something.

To add to the dogpile - you probably do have a bit of yeast in suspension, which probably is contributing some flavors (not necessarily good ones). Call it conditioning/melding of flavors/settling of particulate matter, with three weeks it will be better - especially if you have them in the fridge for a couple of days afterwards.

Hi. I tried my beer after 1 week. Carbed but nothing fabulous. Is the yeast creating off flavours during this mini ferment?

There are a number of factors in the flavors of beer that hasn't had some time in the bottle and yeast can definitely be one of them. There is a way to minimize this. Leave your beer in the fermenter longer and much of the yeast will settle out and the other compounds that give you a "green beer" flavor will have time to be cleaned up by the yeast or changed into a compound with more favorable flavors. The one beer that I left in the fermenter for 9 weeks was very good at one week in the bottle. I feel that 9 weeks was a bit extreme but 3 to 4 would be a good compromise.:mug:

Back