Do you prime or force carb your kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegging: prime or force carb?

• Prime

• Force carb

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.

Madcap

Reaction score
After my last post, the thought occurred to me as to how many people prime with sugar and how many force carb?

I force carbed my first 2 and I think I'm gonna try priming the next couple. No wait once you swap kegs sounds good to me.

Quote: Some people see a glass of beer as half full, others half empty. I'm just wondering who's drinking my beer.

I always force carb... seems rediculous not to. I mean, I have the gas anyhow, so why deal with priming sugar and all that?

I cold crash the heck outta my beers prior to kegging too.

We use priming sugar. We always have plenty of time before tapping. I find it very easy to prime, pressure up the keg, and set aside until needed.

Is this thread only for Polish people? :D

I used to force carb one keg of a batch (I do 10 gallon batches) and then prime the second.

Both were great, but I found a definite yeast bite with the primed keg. I force carb everything now.

It doesn't depend on the beer? (honest question)

I don't keg yet, but I'd think hefes or Belgians might benefit from bottle/keg conditioning, while lagers and pales might be better force carbed.

I AM polish but the answer is force carbed.

Though the polock in me does want to try priming...

Not what I had in mind when I read "pole"...

350px-PoleDSC325.jpg

BTW, I force carb...

Force carb here. No yeastie first draws any more.

And as I brew as many of my own recipes (or ones I've found on the 'net) as I do kits, I just keep the priming sugar packets until I feel like bottling a batch.

I'd like to find a bout six 20' poles for the hop garden though.

I'd like to find a bout six 20' poles for the hop garden though.

Depending on the support, check out the metal conduit in the electrical section of Home Despot or the like. I just did a curtain divider in the utility room, and it was the cheapest 10' pole ($4 IIRC) Copper is only $5 or 6. I just built a trellis for some clematis vine out of that. It looks really nice. Sink a piece of rebar in the ground and slide the pole on top of it. It gets a cool looking patina as it ages.

Back