Do you need a 1 off Stainless part built for your system? Let's discuss it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we have been building BOATLOADS of 1 off parts for guys here and all over the world through our website and beyond. Been having great luck with the success of it so I thought I would start a thread here so you guys can ask about builds get some ideas and maybe come up with some solutions for you. If you want it off board feel free to PM me. Super happy to help! We love building this stuff.

Also if we built you a 1 off part and you want to show it off for others to see or just want to toss out some ideas for others to ponder feel free to post em up here if you like.

Thanks for all the builds and the insight into some new parts you guys and gals, we are having a blast! The fab shop is growing and we are helping a bunch of people get to brewing!

Cheers
Jay

Not now...I had been thinking about a tri-clover dip tube and then saw recently you already made them! I can't weld very well, but your product is exactly what I was thinking. I hope to be getting a couple of them in the near future. Just recently found your website from yeast starter post. Lots of neat stuff!

I have one .... what are your thoughts about expanding the capacity of a Keggle to 20 gallons ?

We did 1 of these for a guy here in town where we cut 2 kegs down to make 1 really tall keg. It was goofy looking to be honest but exacty what he wanted.

If your local or have a good local welder I think we charged him $100 to do it. MAJOR PITA to get them together to where we could get a good weld. I totally undercharged him for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Not now...I had been thinking about a tri-clover dip tube and then saw recently you already made them! I can't weld very well, but your product is exactly what I was thinking. I hope to be getting a couple of them in the near future. Just recently found your website from yeast starter post. Lots of neat stuff!

Sweet man thanks!! Let me know.... We will make it any size you need.

Cheers
Jay

Let's get crazy - an agitator for an igloo mash tun.

Think of a large toggle bolt that collapses as it is pushed down and opens as it is pulled up. Make the flaps on the toggle the size of a spatula.

Now - pass that through a specially made lid on the mash tun and use the thing like a butter churn. No more opening the lid during mash and letting precious heat escape. Could make for keggles too.

Just a fun thought.

I need a couple 2" TC caps drilled out with 1/2" NPT thread. Don't see then anywhere. I see 2"x1" and 1.5"x1" but no 2"x1/2" or 2"x1/4" anywhere. Need to put 2" long RTD sensors at the end of my RIMS tubes.

So we have been building BOATLOADS of 1 off parts for guys here and all over the world through our website and beyond. Been having great luck with the success of it so I thought I would start a thread here so you guys can ask about builds get some ideas and maybe come up with some solutions for you. If you want it off board feel free to PM me. Super happy to help! We love building this stuff.

Also if we built you a 1 off part and you want to show it off for others to see or just want to toss out some ideas for others to ponder feel free to post em up here if you like.

Thanks for all the builds and the insight into some new parts you guys and gals, we are having a blast! The fab shop is growing and we are helping a bunch of people get to brewing!

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jaybird.
I came up with a solution to reduce grub pick up after whirlpooling and posted on the thread about hop filters.
This thread has not received any replies after mine.
The "Solution" consists on three or four vanes to assist intensify the whirlpool effect at the bottom of the noon kettle .
What I have figured is to have the vanes made of 1" or 1-1/2" wide flat strips curved more or less to the diameter of the kettle and probably a quarter of circle in length .
The leading edge of each about 3/4" to 1" from the side of the kettle and the trailing edge double this distance.
The vanes overlap for half their length and the pick up tube takes wort behind the second vane.
Vanes would be welded togeher to form an assembly to be dropped in the kettle and positioned in such a manner that the pick up tube ends up in the desired position.
On the filter thread Chat offered some rest filters for members that wanted to test them, maybe you could do the same?
Let me know your comments.
Best regards.

Last edited:

Think of a large toggle bolt that collapses as it is pushed down and opens as it is pulled up. Make the flaps on the toggle the size of a spatula.

Now - pass that through a specially made lid on the mash tun and use the thing like a butter churn. No more opening the lid during mash and letting precious heat escape. Could make for keggles too.

Just a fun thought.

I want one of these, Dam!
I was in the mist of designing one my self

There is never an original thought anymore

S

Just a fun thought.
Like this, but productized? https://www.google.com/search?q=icre+cream+maker+mash+tun

Too complicated and motorized. Additionally, I like the idea of a vertical mix and a gentle one at that. Too fast a vortex and you could get a lot of grain under the false bottom - stuck sparge as the fittings get clogged. I like simple and manual in this case.

I do like the speed of the ice cream mixer though. That is nice

Motors and controllers are fun, but so is feeling like you are part of the brewing instead of the brewing doing itself. I get antsy during brewing and being able to "do something" - productive or not as long as it is not counter productive, helps

Motors and controllers are fun, but so is feeling like you are part of the brewing instead of the brewing doing itself. I get antsy during brewing and being able to "do something" - productive or not as long as it is not counter productive, helps
I understand the feeling. When there's a long downtime, after mash or boil is stabilized, I go vacuum the house, mow, or do laundry, then the wife is happy :mug:

For those of us who vorlauf, I would love to see one of the sparge arms that are basically a hoop with holes drilled in it fitted with a "Y" adapter and a funnel so that we could vorlauf through the sparge arm.

I need a couple 2" TC caps drilled out with 1/2" NPT thread. Don't see then anywhere. I see 2"x1" and 1.5"x1" but no 2"x1/2" or 2"x1/4" anywhere. Need to put 2" long RTD sensors at the end of my RIMS tubes.

I might be able to tap you a couple if you need them. Drilling and taping in stainless is a difficult but I think I can do it. Do you want them tapped straight threads I assume and starting from the gasket side? I'll PM you some details.

Cheers
Jay

I'm looking at designing a new recirculating eBIAB kettle from spike with 1.5"TC ports including one up near the top of the kettle for whirlpool that I would love to find a great way to use for mash recirculation as well. Best I can come up with is a full threaded TC to NPT combined with a loc line return. Any other suggestions or ideas would be awesome.

Stainless sampling thief.

Make it the full height of a 6.5g carboy plus the handle portion and mark the outside so you know how deep you have to dip it in order to get a full hydrometer sample.

I dont have stainless..But have you seen our Pro Glass thief? They are Sofa King heavy duty, almost "overkill" heavy duty @yurirage would be so proud :D. I don't suggest it but I have dropped mine twice (yes I was drinking and sampling..We all do it!!! LOL) We have them in a 29" and a 17". They are amazing! I know its not stainless but its a start and it is solid as a rock.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Wine_Thief_Professional_Heavy_Duty_Glass_29-Inch.html

Cheers
Jay

I'm looking at designing a new recirculating eBIAB kettle from spike with 1.5"TC ports including one up near the top of the kettle for whirlpool that I would love to find a great way to use for mash recirculation as well. Best I can come up with is a full threaded TC to NPT combined with a loc line return. Any other suggestions or ideas would be awesome.

Are you using a basket that will be lower than the 1.5 TC?

I don't want to derail Jay's discussion, but you could use the following

Inside the Kettle_________________To the Pump
Sparge Tube - Barb - TC Fitting - Barb

I dont have stainless..But have you seen our Pro Glass thief? They are Sofa King heavy duty, almost "overkill" heavy duty @yurirage would be so proud :D. I don't suggest it but I have dropped mine twice (yes I was drinking and sampling..We all do it!!! LOL) We have them in a 29" and a 17". They are amazing! I know its not stainless but its a start and it is solid as a rock.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Wine_Thief_Professional_Heavy_Duty_Glass_29-Inch.html

Cheers
Jay

Wow! That's awesome, it's in my cart now. Thanks Jay!

Wow! That's awesome, it's in my cart now. Thanks Jay!

You got it BeardedBrews. My pleasure. We developed that about 2 years ago or so and kept going back to my buddy who makes them for us in Chico and said "NOPE! Needs to be thicker glass" Finally he brought me my prototype and I was like " YES! THAT'S IT! "

Enjoy it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine!

Cheers
Jay

Robust set of handles for a 50liter kettle?

Couldn't pass up a deal on the kettle itself even though it had no handles and now I am trying to figure out a way to throw some handles on it (everything I find online seems to be for cabinet pulls and don't trust them to support even a 5 gallon batch).

Robust set of handles for a 50liter kettle?

Couldn't pass up a deal on the kettle itself even though it had no handles and now I am trying to figure out a way to throw some handles on it (everything I find online seems to be for cabinet pulls and don't trust them to support even a 5 gallon batch).

Do you have a local stainless welder? I can make you some handles but your welded will need to attach them. We do then all the time for kettles we make.

Cheers
Jay

Do you have a local stainless welder? I can make you some handles but your welded will need to attach them. We do then all the time for kettles we make.

Cheers
Jay

I take it by your suggestion to find a welder that bolting the handles on with some heat proof rubber washers (and a stainless steel washer over that) wouldn't necessarily be a good idea? (there are a couple machine shops around here I can call, and I have a friend who I *think* has all the stuff to do the welding as well so its not a big deal, but I was just curious about bolting on instead of welding, I don't know enough about this to know if its a good or a bad idea)

I take it by your suggestion to find a welder that bolting the handles on with some heat proof rubber washers (and a stainless steel washer over that) wouldn't necessarily be a good idea? (there are a couple machine shops around here I can call, and I have a friend who I *think* has all the stuff to do the welding as well so its not a big deal, but I was just curious about bolting on instead of welding, I don't know enough about this to know if its a good or a bad idea)

Bolting on handles can be a great idea for sure. We have done it ourselves for customers with aluminum kettles. The problem was making the backing plate that the bolts went through, match the radius of the kettle. With that 411 anything is possible.

Cheers
Jay

A mason jar lid attachment (like the yeast harvester) that has two 1/2 tubes at the top, with one extending to near the bottom.

Would like a pair so it would go:
Your awesome blow off tube>silicone tubing>short mason jar tube>link the two long mason jar tubes with silicone>then add a short piece of tubing and a lock to remaining short tube on mason jar(or maybe just an air lock grommet.

I hope that makes sense since I can't really proof read this on my phone.

I might be able to tap you a couple if you need them. Drilling and taping in stainless is a difficult but I think I can do it. Do you want them tapped straight threads I assume and starting from the gasket side? I'll PM you some details.

Cheers
Jay
Straight should work. I would screw in a 1/2" RTD into the cap. Not sure what you mean by starting from the gasket side.

I would like to keep using the bag I have now. I generally squeeze every last bit or wort out of it. I use the same bag on my stove with step mashing without issue so I hope to keep doing so with the ULWD elements.

So I plan on having a TC up meet the top of the kettle and would be interested in a SS component that would go up and over the lip of the bag and into the mash. Or, any other solution that others have come up with.

Are you using a basket that will be lower than the 1.5 TC?

I don't want to derail Jay's discussion, but you could use the following

Inside the Kettle_________________To the Pump
Sparge Tube - Barb - TC Fitting - Barb

I'd like a hop blocker/pick up tube combo designed specifically for the Grainfather. The pick up tube that comes with it sucks, it leaves lots of wort behind and clogs easily. The hop blocker to go along with it....to block hops :)

Also just considering a SS Mesh hop spider instead, or in tandem with the Hop Blocker. The pickup tube is definite either way.

I would like to keep using the bag I have now. I generally squeeze every last bit or wort out of it. I use the same bag on my stove with step mashing without issue so I hope to keep doing so with the ULWD elements.

So I plan on having a TC up meet the top of the kettle and would be interested in a SS component that would go up and over the lip of the bag and into the mash. Or, any other solution that others have come up with.

Most people pull the bag down over the top lip of the kettle, making it impossible to go through the wall of the kettle and to the inside of the bag. Using a bulkhead in the lid I think is the most common option.

Actually I have made quite a few bags with the side seam left open several inches where it is snugged up below a side port, then wraps up and over the kettle rim and is then secured around the outside of the kettle with draw string and cord lock.

a 2 inch TC sampling port. I have some bung sided kegs I am aging sours in. I have them lying on their sides with bung hole facing up. I have one sampling port to add to the TC opening for if you were to tap the keg. I have only been able to find a 1" sampling port so I have to go 2" to 1" reducing cap and then the sampling fitting. If you made a 2 inch that would connect directly to the fitting avoiding the need for the reduction cap that would be awesome. Also if you could incorporate a dip tub into it so you could empty the keg from that port would be pretty sweet as well. Just a thought. Let me know if you need/want more details.

Here is a drawing. I'm pretty sure it's not an original idea, but it would be much cleaner than the diy version.

Edit: alternatively, instead of using a long tube of stainless on the in side, it could just be a barb or tube to attach another length of silicone tubing. Making that adjustable.

What would this be used for exactly and what are the vessels? Like how big?

Cheers
Jay

I'd like a hop blocker/pick up tube combo designed specifically for the Grainfather. The pick up tube that comes with it sucks, it leaves lots of wort behind and clogs easily. The hop blocker to go along with it....to block hops :)

Also just considering a SS Mesh hop spider instead, or in tandem with the Hop Blocker. The pickup tube is definite either way.

Send me some picts...

Cheers
Jay

Gotcha? @Dolomieu Tell me what every fitting is. Barbed? FNPT full couplings? half couplings? MNPT fittings? TC? Yes I can do that. No problem.

Cheers
Jay

Send me some picts...

Cheers
Jay

At work right now, I'll try to get some when I get home tonight. I assume you'll want measurements too, unless you have access to a grainfather in the shop....

Back