Do you keep the CO2 tank..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Connected if your already happy with the carbonation using the shake method when your not dispensing the beer? Like if your finished for the beer drinking sitting. :tank:

I keep the beer connected to the keg from the day I rack into the keg to the day it blows. I simply set my keg to the correct pressure per a carbonation table and leave it alone. I would rather just pour a pint and know that it is good to go. Say you have a slow leak from a poppet, it will start to go flat if not connected to the tank, you go to pour a pint and you get a glass of flat or undercarbed beer.

I keep the beer connected to the keg from the day I rack into the keg to the day it blows. I simply set my keg to the correct pressure per a carbonation table and leave it alone. I would rather just pour a pint and know that it is good to go. Say you have a slow leak from a poppet, it will start to go flat if not connected to the tank, you go to pour a pint and you get a glass of flat or undercarbed beer.

Roughly how many kegs of beer do you get out of a 5lb tank? Before you have to refill the C02 tank.

My regulator never did show "Full Pressure" for my tank. I got it filled yesterday.

I think most do, although when first starting out, it's wise to check for leaks carefully. I had a loose MFL connector my first time out, but fortunately could hear it leak so I found it fast. After that, I got out a bottle and sprayed the other connectors just to be sure there were no other leaks. It'd be a bummer to lose a whole tank of CO2.

Roughly how many kegs of beer do you get out of a 5lb tank? Before you have to refill the C02 tank.

My regulator never did show "Full Pressure" for my tank. I got it filled yesterday.

The gauge is kinda worthless, really. When it's into the red, you are really low and you are almost out. When in the green, you have some. You go by weight, not pressure. Most tanks have the dry weight posted on them, so it's easy to figure out by weighing, except that you have to remove the tank to do so.

There are other threads on how many kegs, but I hear that a little over 1 per lb. is about right. Of course, it depends on how high you carb, whether you push to clean, sterilize and transfer, etc.

I usually get 4 or 5 out of a filling. my kegerator has a small scale in it (like a small bathroom scale), I hooked the regulator up to my empty tank, put it on the scale and turned the dial to get the needle to zero, when its filled it reads approx. 5LB. Now I just need to look at the scale to see how much is left in the tank. simple and accurate enough to identify when Im almost out of gas. It works way better than looking at a gauge that usually appears almost empty all the time.

I don't but I like highly carbonated beer like DuVel so the serving pressure needs to be lower than the carbonation pressure or it foams up

Back