Do I NEED do have a low pH prior to fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejessmonster

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been messing around with making Kilju/sugar wine recently with the goal of having it come out as flavorless as possible (don't judge me).
I'm planning to ferment at 60F with either SafAle US-05 or White Labs WLP090 since I've seen both of those recommended for producing very neutral flavors.
I think I've got a good handle on how to make sure my yeast is as happy as it can be so that it doesn't produce any horrible flavors.
I'm using this calculator to figure out how much Fermaid K/DAP to add, and adding a 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer per gallon.
However, I can't seem to figure out what to do about the pH. Everywhere I've looked people recommend a low starting pH anywhere from 3-5.5, but since I'm just fermenting sugar water my pH will be 7.
Does this matter? What will happen if I just let it ferment without any acidity?
And if I really do need to lower the pH, what is the maximum acceptable level? 5.5? 5?
I was planning to add phosphoric acid if I need to, but I'm kind of nervous about just how much I will need to add and if it will affect the flavor at all.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Phosphoric acis is flavorless. Optimal PH at which to pitch lies between 5.5 and 5.0. If you pitch at 7.0 yeast will have to lower PH by an extra 1.0 to 1.5 points and that will cause additional stress to it.

Back