Do i have my first bug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I just checked my airlock on my Hop head Amber and and i got bubbles again. I had good action for two days, it petered off and i checked today to rack to secondary and the bubbled are back. Not violent but 3 or 4 a minute. My OG was about 1.055 and i havent opened it or anything. I use a rot gut tequila in the bubbler. Now my airlock didnt takeoff heavy the first day and i only got moderate action. Is it a bug, or a slow yeast? (wyeast 1388 i believe).

No way to tell from your description, and no reason to suspect infection at all.

Yeast activity can definitely taper off and back on. Even so, your airlock is not an accurate way to tell what is going on.

Sounds like you stirred up some yeast when you transferred from primary to secondary or some of the CO2 dissolved in the liquid is finding its way out from the agitation. How long did you leave it in primary?

I havent done anything yet. I like for the majority of activity to be finished before i rack to secondary. I usually do at least 7 days in primary(today is day 7). I stopped when i saw the airlock action. I know that it wont tell ya when fermentation is finished but if its bubbling thats a good indicator its not. Right. Should i wait untillit stops to go to secondary?

I havent done anything yet. I like for the majority of activity to be finished before i rack to secondary. I usually do at least 7 days in primary(today is day 7). I stopped when i saw the airlock action. I know that it wont tell ya when fermentation is finished but if its bubbling thats a good indicator its not. Right. Should i wait untillit stops to go to secondary?

Not necessarily, the bubbling could be dissolved C02 escaping the liquid. So far, I have only used a secondary when I dry hop otherwise I skip it. Even then I leave the beer in primary 3 weeks then go 2 weeks in secondary with the hops in there 10 days. I recently switched this method when I started kegging though. Three weeks in primary then straight to a keg where I will let it age and dry hop a couple weeks before serving.

Back