Do Hydrometers Measure Adjunct Sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenteverything

Reaction score
This is a noobie question I'm sure.

I'm making cider, and I'm going to add molasses, honey, brown sugar, & maple syrup...
Is there any reason to believe that any of these adjunct sugars would not raise the gravity reading on my hydrometer? I'm 99% sure that they will all raise the gravity reading, but I need to be sure.

Also, it will acurately measure sugar levels in apple juice, correct?

Thanks folks

Your hydrometer is can measure the specific gravity, otherwise known as the density, of whatever liquid it is in, and that density has nothing to do with what kind of sugars are in the liquid. Yes, adding molasses, honey, brown sugar, and maple syrup will increase the gravity of your cider; and yes, your hydrometer reading will reflect that.

your hydrometer will measure fermentable or non fermentable sugar.

To further clarify, it will only properly measure what has dissolved into the liquid. As long as all of your adjuncts fully dissolve into solution, you will get an accurate reading.

Thanks guys. Does anybody have an adjunct fermentability chart or something that can guide me through the math for a 19 L batch?

I've been searching all over the site and with the search tool but I haven't found anything like that yet.

Back