Do Craft Beer Labels Affect Your Purchasing Decisions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we like this label?

Pdgv7.jpg

Pdgv7.jpg

I saw this on popurls this morning. I didn't realize these were that same folks that brew Tokyo. They also have an IPA "Sink the Bismarck" that claims to be 41% ABV. If my math is right, that would be more than 70 proof beer! :drunk:

Your math is sort of right. It'd be 82 proof in the States and a bit over 70 proof in the UK. So it depends on where you are. :)

I look for brewery, then style, then abv, then bottling date.......pretty pictures and artwork don`t interest me except that I like breweries to have a distinct difference in their labels for each style because it makes it easier for me to remember which ones i`ve tried and liked or not liked. Flying Dog would be a prime example with their similar artwork for each style I can`t remember anymore which ones I`ve tried, so typically I bypass them alltogether.Avery does a good job of making a clear distinction between styles with their labels.

Packaging design plays an important role in most of my purchasing decision - the only exception being beer. I look for style first, then descriptor if any, then brewery. I don't really care what pretty picture there is on the label or the name.

a good picture might catch my eye and cause me to buy something, but more often than not, I'm looking for somethign I already like, or to try something different, and I'll generally try somethign different regardless of the label. if its good, I"ll come back to it again and again

Do we like this label?

removed images....

so does that 32% and 41% taste decent considering? It does not matter to me if it is 80% ABV if it is awful or has to be "choked down". Thanks in advance!!!!

so does that 32% and 41% taste decent considering? It does not matter to me if it is 80% ABV if it is awful or has to be "choked down". Thanks in advance!!!!

It's not mine. Found a post about it on the net. I don't think I would ever buy a bottle unless several people went in on it. It seems pointless to me.

Labels, while some are eycatching and others not do not influence me.

Blurb does.

If I see a bottle with blurb that mentions how the extreme ( Hoppiness/Maltiness/Dead puppies) will blow you away and leave your senses dangling over a pit of boiling oil.......Then nah. F#ck buying that. I want to buy beer, not a silly marketing tool.

I was just in Border's and came across a book that was titled something along the lines of "The Beer Trials" and was a takeoff on "The Wine Trials" (or Judgement In Paris) in which many popular beers were blind tasted. The strange thing was that while each beer was ranked on a 10 point scale, the authors also took pains to voice their pleasure or displeasure with the label on a particular beer (i.e. is it too crowded with info., are the graphics pleasing). Montanaandy

Not for me.

My purchasing is usually based first on the style I want, then usually what brewery is it from? Either I am buying a specific beer like Stone's Arrogant Bastard" or "Bell's two hearted" or am looking to expand my pallet within a style. If that's the case it's going to be a brewery's name and whether or not I've heard of it, that's going to be the first deciding factor.

Although I appreciate good label art it's never been a deciding factor in purchasing for me.

If Dogfish Head made their beers look like the one in Repo Men;

generic-beer.jpg

As long as I could identify the brewery and the style, I could care less. (But I've never been Advertising driven in anything thing.)

Revvy, I think this is interesting that you mentioned this. My original post or idea was that the label contains information needed to make a decision. Part of the information that is on the label usually consists of which brewery it came from, therefore reputation. At least, that is how I see it.

So the real question is...what kinds of information are you looking for on a label when you make your decision. Forget about the pictures.

Thanks for your comment here!

Back