DME in place of priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRR_BrewCo

Reaction score
So I have had it with the standard priming sugar that seems to come with most extract kits. In my mind they leave a strange aftertaste and too much carb as opposed to the beer I've kegged and carbed with friends. Unfortunately I have to carb in bottles due to my lack if space and funds. One of my friends recently let me have one o his brews that he said he Carbed by adding dme to the bottling instead of the corn based carbing sugar. Said he prepped it the same as the carbing sugar by boiling it in some water. It tasted amazing with no odd finish to it and I was wondering if others had tried this method and what they thought of it. If so, what would be the proper amount to add to a 5 gallon batch?

I'm trying DME on my batch this weekend I've never used it before so any info on people's results would be helpful. Thanks

Thats how I've bottled for years. Typically 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups light dme, 2 cups water, boil, add to bottling bucket.

I felt the same way about priming sugar when I first started brewing.

I did this once, seems like it gave the beer a carmely taste. It also took longer for the flavor to mature. Try it out and if it doesnt taste as good as it should, let the bottles sit for another month or so, they will improve with time.

Back