DIY Racking Adapter for Better Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
Has anyone found/come across/devised a DIY alternative to the Better Bottle Racking Adapter? I'm looking to purchase a few more fermenters (~3 gallons) and would like to transition over to something like this, away from siphoning. The Better Bottle option is just so expensive. In my search, I came across the Speidel Plastic Fermenter - 12L at More Beer, great price option. However, their customer service is doing everything they can to deter me from using it (that's another story.) I've searched here and Goggle but have come up empty. Any suggestions?

Why is there customer service steering you sway from the speidel? Everything I have read on them seemed to be positive I for one can not wait until the 15 gallon come back in stock

I've contacted them about possibly drilling a hole in the lid to accomodiate an airlock for their 12l option. I received a response that the 12l option is not ment for fermentation. I explained that their description states it's for experimental batches and is the perfect size for what I'm looking for. I received another response that stated "That size is not meant for that and the handle does not move, so it would be in the way of the airlock." I'm not looking to carry this thing around by the handle. If need be, I can cut the handle off or work around it. H%$#, how about a blow off tube that can bend around the handle? This was my first bad experience with More Beer. It was as if I'm being told to not purchase their product and look elsewhere (my only other option I've found is Better Bottles, which I already have.) I'm tempted to just drive over their this weekend and take a look at it in person. I think I can make it work, there has to be something that can be done to it.

Ok...so I drove to More Beer (concord) this weekend. With the help of David (Storeroom Manager,) it was determined that the handle does move, quite freely, and is perfectly suitable for fermentation. He offered a discount for my troubles which I didn't even ask for. That one employee set me and More Beer straight. I can't wait to try this out.

I still would like to find a DIY option for Better Bottles.

Back