Diy glycol chiller woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
So my chiller build is not going smoothly. For reasons I don't want to talk about, I pulled the wrong fins off and set them into the cooler. It was at that time that I realized that I had the wrong one so I started the process of getting it back in place. I was able to get the fins in place but I linked the lines a bit. Is it still usable or did I kill my ac unit?
IMG_20190624_203917.jpeg
IMG_20190624_203908.jpeg

So my chiller build is not going smoothly. For reasons I don't want to talk about, I pulled the wrong fins off and set them into the cooler. It was at that time that I realized that I had the wrong one so I started the process of getting it back in place. I was able to get the fins in place but I linked the lines a bit. Is it still usable or did I kill my ac unit? View attachment 632631View attachment 632632

I hate to say it but that looks like you would have to fix the line and vacuum the system and recharge. It looks like a line crack.

If it emptied completely that does not mean it is dead but it will take equipment to get it back in to shape. A good vacuum pump and some soldering will get it to the point you can add Freon back in. If it is not leaking yet, it really does not look like the line is far from completely breaking. A couple of good shifts from the compressor cycling and high pressure spray will occur.

If there are refrigeration people on here they could speak to it more but I always look at it as just another challenge.

Best of luck.

I hate to say it but that looks like you would have to fix the line and vacuum the system and recharge. It looks like a line crack.

If it emptied completely that does not mean it is dead but it will take equipment to get it back in to shape. A good vacuum pump and some soldering will get it to the point you can add Freon back in. If it is not leaking yet, it really does not look like the line is far from completely breaking. A couple of good shifts from the compressor cycling and high pressure spray will occur.

If there are refrigeration people on here they could speak to it more but I always look at it as just another challenge.

Best of luck.
If you are referencing the straight line near the pinched tube, that is just a surface scratch. I was trying to reshape the copper with pliers and padding but the Jaws went through the padding.

Back