DIY fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I got my thumb out of my ass and "assembled" my FC today. Didn't have to remove the built in termostat and circuit the feeder cable attached to it, wich was nice.
Small fan heater as heat source and the fridges own compressor as cooler.
I used the dual temp controller built on a stc 1000 from mangrove jacks, but the manual coming with it wasn't the thickest I've seen... Does anyone know how to change the temperature intervall from the pre-set 0.6C? I think 0.3-0.4 would be more appropriate. And yeah I will clean the fridge thouroughly, this was just a test run.
Edit: Googled around a bit and found how to change the temp difference, is 0.3 a good idea?

Attachments

• DSC_0329.JPG
    DSC_0329.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0330.JPG
    DSC_0330.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
So, I am fermenting the first beer in this and the fan heater is way too powerful and heat up the entire chamber a lot more than the fermentation bucket even on a low setting.
This is ofc leading to a lot of lag since the compressor has to cool it down really low before the fluid starts cooling and then you also get lag when warming.
It is fluctuating between 18.5 and 19.6, went down as low as 18 a short while once, acceptable but far from optimal.
So I have switched the fan to a frostguard(basically a small heater coil in a metal housing) and hooked it to the thermostat. I have also ordered a heatpad and plan on having them both plugged to the thermostat. Is this a good idea or should I have only the heatpad on there and dial in the frostguard to keep a temp around 5c lower than the fermentation temp? I need to heat the chamber since I have it in the garden shed and that has pretty much the same temp as outside during winter.

I use one of these to heat my chamber.
51D4FE86-97C3-4688-B15C-DB7F5F2A43DA.png

Works great, and not to big, it’s designed to heat a small space

I have bought a heat pad and use it with my frostguard on a low setting (the FC stands in the garden shed wich holds p much the same temp as outside). The ferm temp is a lot more stable now, slowly fluctuating between just below and just over 19c wich is my target temp.

Back