DIY - Dual Coil Immersion Chiller (50')

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FooFighter

Reaction score
After getting tired cold-bath cooling my 5gal kettle in the kitchen sink (it barely fits), I decided it was time to invest a few bucks in a chiller.
I also plan to switch to all-grain & get a larger kettle, so I want something that is future-proof at least to that stage.

Immersion seemed to fit my needs/budget.
My LHBS has a 20' immersion coil for ~$100 CAD taxes-in.
That would have done the trick, but I thought it would be fun to build my own and for the same price I could build a 50' one with two coils for better performance.

Here's my parts and approximate costs:

3/8" OD x 50' coil of soft-copper tubing... $50
3/8" ID x 10' Vinyl tubing....................... $6
Qty 3 SS hose clamps............................ $3
Hose end for tubing .............................. $6
Hose adapter for Faucet......................... $7
Copper strap....................................... $10
Tube Bender....................................... $11

Total with taxes was $108 CAD

Here's the parts:
T0kv6G7.jpg
fvkjbDj.jpg

I used a coffee tin, and a 2gal fermenting bucket to form the coils.
You can see why I chose these items; they fit perfectly in my kettle.
0G3AtCG.jpg
SlkKvMr.jpg

Getting the coil started on the can is the worst part... I sat on a chair with the can between my legs and the spool on the floor.
It helps if you straighten out 6' or so of tubing to work at a time with or else the spool gets in your way.
68Q0uAh.jpg
opXHOTR.jpg

I decided to make my 2 coils using roughly equal length of tubing and planned to leave about 2' extra at each end to make connections.
The inner coil would be ~21" per each coil so would do 13 coils, and the outer coil would be ~27" per coil so I should end up with 10.

Since the coffee tin was shorter than the bucket, I put in a pyrex dish and some towels to raise it up to the edge of the bucket.
That way what will eventually become the bottom of my chiller will be mostly flat.
opXHOTR.jpg
WG5fnQr.jpg

I started wrapping around the bucket and quickly realized an oversight: the bucket is tapered, and has a lip that would make the coil hard to remove.
I didn't have anything else on hand to use as a form, so I used it anyways. I had to 'loosen' the coils a bit at the end to get it off. No harm done.
WEz4bI3.jpg
tOIuHc4.jpg

D19n2Xo.jpg

I unraveled the extra at the ends of the tubing and made my connection bends using the tubing bender.
The bending tool was well worth the $11. Seems easy to kink at 90deg angles. Made the vertical pieces extra tall to accommodate larger kettles in the future.
I used the straps on the top to space the inner/outer coils evenly and add some rigidity.
I did the same on the second-from-the-bottom coil (wanted the bottom coil bare to avoid scratching the kettle).
Popped on the tube and clamps, and we're good to go!
TRyDALq.jpg
s4oJtDh.jpg

8Sq723T.jpg

One connection piece is too long, so I'll go borrow a pipe cutter tonight and trim/deburr it.
My faucet fitting turned out to be the wrong size, so I'll return it tonight and post back when I test the chilling performance!

:mug:

Last edited:
Did my first trial using water last night and it worked amazing!

Cooled 3.5Gal from 100C down to 21C in 5.5mins with sporadic stirring.
My tap water temp is 7C. Not sure how much it fluctuates in the summer months.

It displaced about 0.5Gal of water in the kettle, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Nice job! I think this may be one of my next DIY projects later this summer or fall!

Thanks! I used it for a real brewday last weekend and it was great. Saved a ton of time.

I recommend to clean it with some white vinegar prior to use; gets rid of any copper oxide (and plain old dirt & grime) on the surface.

At the end of brew day just rinse it off with hot water.

She's a beauty and what's better is you made it yerself! I have always smiled on brew day when using equipment I've built with me own two hands, you will too ( ;

Looks good and I like to make my own stuff as well, but Jaded Brewing sells all most the same thing for the same price as the total cost.

Edit: never mind missed the double coil part. Looks good. In my experience the counterflow chiller works the best through.

Looks good and I like to make my own stuff as well, but Jaded Brewing sells all most the same thing for the same price as the total cost.

Edit: never mind missed the double coil part. Looks good. In my experience the counterflow chiller works the best through.

I'm in Canada, so I have a smaller pool of places to buy equipment without getting flogged on FX and shipping. (1 CAD is about .77 USD right now, and that's an improvement over the past few months)

The two shops I typically order from only had immersion chillers with 25' coils and those were approaching $100 CAD including tax. Ultimately as my setup grows I'll likely upgrade to a plate or CF chiller, but for now this works great

She's a beauty and what's better is you made it yerself! I have always smiled on brew day when using equipment I've built with me own two hands, you will too ( ;

Totally agree - it's always satisfying using (or drinking, for that matter) stuff you made yourself!

I'm in Canada, so I have a smaller pool of places to buy equipment without getting flogged on FX and shipping. (1 CAD is about .77 USD right now, and that's an improvement over the past few months)

The two shops I typically order from only had immersion chillers with 25' coils and those were approaching $100 CAD including tax. Ultimately as my setup grows I'll likely upgrade to a plate or CF chiller, but for now this works great

That makes sense. Looks good!

Very nice job! Very similar to the one I made 15 years ago, but I did not have the foresight to build in taller in/out tubes like you did. I used the same length and tubing diameter -- I am a firm believer that narrow tubing promotes high water velocity, turbulent flow, and thus great heat transfer. And the long length gives a larger area. Should give you years of great service. I switched from vinegar to Star San for removing the oxide layer before each use. Happy brewing!

Back