DIY Draft Tower fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N. Homebrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a fitting that could reduce from 3/4" to a female 5/8" diameter to screw a faucet shank into rather than needing a larger diameter pipe to fit the traditional facet fastening system.

Could you perhaps expand on what you're trying to do here? And why?
fwiw, a standard beer shank has a 7/8"-14 thread and I don't know of faucets that will connect to anything else than a standard coupler...

Cheers!

Absolutely! The shank that I have has an outer diameter of 5/8" non traditional but nevertheless true. I am looking to make a cheap draft tower out of steel piping and at the smallest diameter possible to allow for usuable room on top of the kegerator. I am going with 3/4" I had laying around. The only issue is that a hex bushing only reduces to 1/2". I can't find any fitting that would reduce from 3/4" to 5/8". Any ideas on any fitting that would get me from the 5/8" shank diameter to the 3/4" tower diameter?
Thanks much!

Attachments

• 15917553114206803885029324663941.jpg
    15917553114206803885029324663941.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
I think the best bet for me is to use this fitting and a 3/4" to 1/2" hex bushing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200609-193137_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-193137_Chrome.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 12
And the confusion regarding the diameter of the shank went with the 5/8" being equivalent to 7/8"-14 thread as shown in the product above

That's doesn't surprise me, the push-to-connect fittings I used for my standard shanks are spec'd for 5/8" BSP. It's all a mystery to me but there we are :)

Anyway....what does this "non-traditional" shank actually look like? And does the fact that it's actually "standard" change anything?

There've been a number of iron "towers" shown on HBT and at some point they all had to come up with a transitional fitting to accept a short standard shank. Maybe Googling around using site:homebrewtalk.com will help. Here's a random example, you can see there's an iron reducer insert. But, again, that's for a standard shank...

1591756507713.png

Cheers!

The shank thread, beer thread, 5/8" BSP or 7/8-14 (all different names for the same thing) isn't common in pipe fittings. I'm not aware of an adapter that does that the way you'd need it. The shortest shank would be too long for that hydraulic adapter. I have a tap for that thread but I don't know if any 3/4" male fittings would have the correct inner bore diameter to take threads with that tap.

I found a hydraulic fitting for 5/8 female to 1/2" male and I am going to try combining that with a 3/4" to 1/2" hex bushing. Not in stores but found it online for $4. When it comes in I will update you on either success or failure.

Thanks much!

The shank thread, beer thread, 5/8" BSP or 7/8-14 (all different names for the same thing) isn't common in pipe fittings. I'm not aware of an adapter that does that the way you'd need it. The shortest shank would be too long for that hydraulic adapter. I have a tap for that thread but I don't know if any 3/4" male fittings would have the correct inner bore diameter to take threads with that tap.

I was confused at the moment. It is the 5/8" BSP or 7/8"-14. My apologies for the confusion being passed on.

Thanks much!

That's doesn't surprise me, the push-to-connect fittings I used for my standard shanks are spec'd for 5/8" BSP. It's all a mystery to me but there we are :)

Anyway....what does this "non-traditional" shank actually look like? And does the fact that it's actually "standard" change anything?

There've been a number of iron "towers" shown on HBT and at some point they all had to come up with a transitional fitting to accept a short standard shank. Maybe Googling around using site:homebrewtalk.com will help. Here's a random example, you can see there's an iron reducer insert. But, again, that's for a standard shank...
Cheers!

Back