DIY Conical Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is such thing as a better bottle or carboy with a threaded neck on it? The idea being that after pitching, to attach a ball valve to the fermenter. Then attach a small bottle to the other end of the valve. Turn it upside down and sit it on a frame.

When the primary is done, close the valve and detach the smaller bottle. Turn the fermenter back upright.

Sounds good in theory, but finding something suitable to use like that and how to attach a airlock to it while its upside down.

I have one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZHMUEW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also got the heavy duty carboy funnel from better bottle and I'm going to epoxy it to the lid which I'm cutting a hole in. The lid is just a little bit smaller than the inside lip of the wide part of the funnel. Wish the funnel was a teeny bit smaller so it would sit on top of the lid, but whatev.

Cept, I'm gonna use it for a grain filler/removable hopper for milling malt, not in fermentation.

31cyuKsJV0L._SS500_.jpg

LDBB33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet with some weldless fittings installed into the lid (which is pretty hefty) you could have a sweet right side up fermenter- even making it into a closed system with (gentle) pressure transfers. There is a (what looks like silicone) gasket in the lid, of course.

Just harvest the yeast post-coitus.

Dude, you rock. That's the one I was thinking. :rockin:

I knew I'd read that thread from start to finish, I actually started looking for it after my last post in between working, so it did take me a while! :D

I looked at the fermentap description thinking it was kinda cool.

You will need to dump out trub and yeast in the first two days of your fermentation, and every three-four days after that. If left unattended, the sediment will compact and can clog the bottom valve.
http://fermentap.com/view_product/16662/100574

After reading all the info, I am thinking not for me.
The DIY plastic conical thread was the exact one i was thinking of doing one day.
When i am bored, having nothing to do, and have $$ to spend. So maybe when i am not working 3 jobs.

Question why one would go through all that trouble when you can convert a sanke into a fermenter. Some very good kits out there that allow you to pressure transfer, push yeast cake and trub from bottom, etc. I don't have one of those kits, so I can only6 speak from reading the threads. Is there some negative aspect to using those? Seems you can put a 15.5 gal fermenter together for used keg cost plus around 70 bucks.

Because with using a sanke keg you can't see inside of it to look at your balls.
Brew balls that is.. http://www.brewballs.com/ :ban: *Geeze get your mind out of the gutter*

Call me a dork, But even after 2 years of brewing i still like to watch beer ferment.
Conical's would be nice, just to make it easier to harvest yeast....But washing yeast isnt that hard.

I was looking at this plastic tank to use when I move to a conical. The lid looks a little better than the other one that is posted in the link above. Any thoughts?

http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-IN0015-19

I bought two ten gallon tanks from these people and converted them for 7.5 gallon batches. I drilled a racking port just above where the trub settles. Works great.

One thing that I did do that was a little different was to take the lid flange and flip it up so that it was on the outside of the conical. The lid is just screwed in. I then siliconed the lid and bolted the flange back on. I then took my dremel tool and cut the lip off the flange and then I was able to screw the lid on. I also ordered a large O-Ring from Grainger and put it on the lid for a good seal.

I also cut the plastic on the inside were the flange rests so I have easy access to cleaning the top of the inside of the conical.

I have been extremley pleased with the way these turned out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

This is the one that I am using.

http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-SP0010-SQ8

TD

Search a bit on the fermentap. Basically it turns out to be a real pain in the ass. Since the lines are so small, it's prone to clogging, and the slope of the upper part of a better bottle or carboy really isn't steep enough for the trub and yeast to fall to the bottom easily.

Call me a dork, But even after 2 years of brewing i still like to watch beer ferment.

Conical's would be nice, just to make it easier to harvest yeast....But washing yeast isnt that hard.

DORK.

Seriously, though... I have a conical and it is very nice, but it is pretty damn hard to beat a $40-$50 used Sanke + $80 conversion kit to have yourself a pressurizable 15.5 gal fermenter. I can make 3 of these for the cost of one of my Chinese 14.5gal conicals...

DORK.

Seriously, though... I have a conical and it is very nice, but it is pretty damn hard to beat a $40-$50 used Sanke + $80 conversion kit to have yourself a pressurizable 15.5 gal fermenter. I can make 3 of these for the cost of one of my Chinese 14.5gal conicals...

YUP I am a complete DORK!
I am like a little kid wanting to watch the beer just ferment away.
But then get pissed at myself when the airlock gets blown off the carboy or full of beer. I know...Use blow off tubes...I have them just at times i am like AHHH There is enough space...It will be fine. :(

Conicals are nice, I am sure the sankes are great to....But i am a dork and like to watch the beer in action.

I'm wondering if there is such thing as a better bottle or carboy with a threaded neck on it? The idea being that after pitching, to attach a ball valve to the fermenter. Then attach a small bottle to the other end of the valve. Turn it upside down and sit it on a frame.

When the primary is done, close the valve and detach the smaller bottle. Turn the fermenter back upright.

Sounds good in theory, but finding something suitable to use like that and how to attach a airlock to it while its upside down.

Like this?

image_1397.jpg

Not a whole lot of places selling that V-Vessel right now, it is a "neat" concept though. I wonder why it never really caught on?

Now that you post that, I recall seeing one of those hanging in the corner of a local homebrew shop. It seemed like an odd looking piece of equipment and I kept forgetting to ask what it was.

Back