Dip Tube - Full Length or Shortened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, just setting up my first kegs. I saw something on-line suggesting to cut them an inch short of the bottom so you don't pull all that trub into the first beers. Just know you will be left with a few beers left at the bottom at the end to pitch. Makes sense to me, but what do others do? Anybody to this? Is this really an issue if you are not doing heavily hopped beers and you cold crash before you transfer.

Thanks
Tom

I'm pretty sure most folk who cut their diptubes do it to kegs they're fermenting in. I try to only transfer crashed and clear beer into my serving kegs...occasionally I'll have a little sediment, but not much and not often and it always comes out on the first pour. Personally, I'd go with a floating diptube before I'd consider cutting one... never know when I might want it full length again and replacement diptubes often cost at least half the price of a whole used keg.
...just my 2 cents. :bigmug:

About ten years ago, I cut a half inch off the end of all my dip tubes. Not sure if I would do the same to any new kegs I may get, but I don't regret shortening them a bit.

I shortened the dip tubes on the kegs I knew would contain beers with a lot of hop/trub debris because I had clogging problems. However, once floating dip tubes came out at a decent price, I replaced all of my kegs dip tubes. The only keg that still have a full length, OEM dip tube is the one I make sparkling water in.

I shortened the dip tubes on the kegs I knew would contain beers with a lot of hop/trub debris because I had clogging problems. However, once floating dip tubes came out at a decent price, I replaced all of my kegs dip tubes. The only keg that still have a full length, OEM dip tube is the one I make sparkling water in.
Gonna have to look at floating dip tubes. Never even thought about that. A little investigation is warranted.

There seem to be a lot of floating dip tubes out there. Any recommendations. Was looking at the Torpedo Keg Buoy which include the short dip tube to connect to.

Floating diptubes can be frustrating if they get hung up on the sidewall and don't slide down as the level drops. It's a lot to ask of the tubing when it's such a skinny tank. If the beer going into the keg is generally clear, the sediment layer after a month can be as thin as 1/16" and pretty well compacted. When you open the emptied keg, you'll see that even if the diptube is in contact with the bottom, only about a quarter sized circle of sediment is missing near the tube. That means, a tiny bit got sucked out with a few pints of beer. The same thing happens even with 1/4" thick sediment though it's very susceptible to getting cloudy if you nudge or move the keg.

Floating diptubes generally give you clear poors much sooner though because the sediment heavy layer could be a couple inches below the surface and "skimming" clear beer off the top will taste good long before a deep draw would. The question is, do you feel patient?

There seem to be a lot of floating dip tubes out there. Any recommendations. Was looking at the Torpedo Keg Buoy which include the short dip tube to connect to.
A couple weeks ago I saw this review by HomebrewFinds on the FLOTit 2.0:
https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2022/...ating-dip-tube-w-dfi-double-filter-inlet.html
[Forgot to add]
Probably something I would buy to make fermenting in a keg easier/more doable.
Or when doing keg hopping more often, which I've been testing lately, using smallish hop bags, with a good keg-rolling or shaking.

Last edited:
I've found that attaching stainless washers to the end of my floating dip tubes was the best solution for the tube getting caught on the side of the keg.

Back