Digital thermometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Ones anyone know of a decent digital thermometer for my mash tun? Also where can I find one locally if possible?

I use a thermopen. Possibly not what you are looking for but it's the best you can get for a handheld instant read.

I bought mine at walmart. Seems to be pretty accurate. I think I paid about $10 for it.

i know the Thermopen is the gold standard but its significantly more expensive then mine. is it really that much better than this?

seems accurate enough for govt work

Last edited by a moderator:
i know the Thermopen is the gold standard but its significantly more expensive then mine. is it really that much better than this?

I asked for one similar for Christmas. I used it for a couple of months then got pissed at how long it took to settle in on the true temperature. I then sprung for the Thermopen. Some of the best $$ I have spent for this hobby.

mageac said:

I have the CDN. It's accurate, but it takes 15-20 seconds to really get to temp. Annoying if you're holding it in near-boiling wort or taking a mash temp and trying not to let heat out the top of your mash tun.

The Thermapen is well worth the money, especially since I can use it for so many more things like BBQ, grilling, cooking, etc...

i use this one. Same company that makes the thermapen...not quite as fast, but 1/4 the cost.

I need a good way to know what my mash temp is while it's in the mash tun, which is why I am asking.

Back