Didn't use "hop tea pot" for Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaner

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my first NB Double IPA extract kit, everything went well until I was cleaning up afterwards and noticed that the NB instructions called to make a hop tea pot for the hops.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/skin/frontend/default/nbrewer_theme/images/media/beerkitpdf/DIPA.pdf

I know I should have read the instructions before brewing, but all of the kits that I have used in the past have the same generic instructions that didn't include anything like this one that calls for a tea pot. Needless to say, I added the hops directly into my wort boil. Is this going to have any negative effects on this batch? I'm thinking that it will just be a little more cloudy, and there will probably a little more crap in the bottom of the primary than usual, but is that all? I know I should RDWHAHB, but this was an expensive kit so right now I'm a little worried.

You'll be fine. The hop tea is most likely to help new brewers not have to worry about straining the hops from the wort. Hops are boiled in the wort.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I just brewed my first IIPA. It was a kit from Midwest. They have very different instructions than Northern Brewers. No mention of a hop tea pot and they don't specify a 2 month secondary.

That seems like a pretty long time. Any of the experts know why such a long time is needed/recommended?

I just keep my beers in the primary. I'm wondering now if I should keep my IIPA in the primary for longer than the planned 4 weeks. I still have a dry hop scheduled a week into the fermentation once the active fermentation has slowed.

I am guessing the long secondary is to let the flavors meld together and even out. It can only help your brew.

Back